Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69947 Jun 19th, 2007 at 06:43 AM
OP Offline
I'm moving two rhododendrons that struggle because of too much heat for both, and in one case, not enough air flow. (I didn't plant them there.) I know where I'm moving them - that isn't the problem.

I need some ideas for replacements in the location where the rhodys are coming out.

One location is in a square bed 4' x 4'. It sits in a corner facing east (house is L-shaped) - little or no breeze gets there unless wind is from the east or southeast. It is surrounded by concrete and my dryer vent is in this corner. Ugh. It's 3' from my front door, so I need something to make this spot look better. I'm planting some dianthus around the edges, but I need something for the middle - something taller - preferably a flowering bush of some kind, but a tall annual or heat tollerant perennial would work too.

The second location is a large rock garden - drains well - but the concrete driveway runs along the front of this rock garden adding to the heat from the sun on the rocks, and it gets sun until about 1:30 at this time of year. Snow-on-the-Mountain ground cover does very well here, but I need something with height - and again, preferably something that blooms - a bush or strong heat tolerant perennial with height. The rocks are mostly large - 3" ones for a base and bigger ones distributed in different places - some bigger than I can lift.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Stormy
Stormysgrandma #70081 Jun 19th, 2007 at 08:31 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
lilac, butterfly bush, forsythia, spirea.

Zone 6b
Stormysgrandma #70083 Jun 19th, 2007 at 08:41 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Abelia mosanensis Fragrant Abelia
Abeliophyllum distichum Forsythia, White
Calluna vulgaris 'Moon Glow' Scotch Heather
Calycanthus x 'Venus' Venus Sweetshrub
Choisya a. 'Aztec Pearl' Golden Mexican Orange
Corylopsis pauciflora Buttercup Winterhazel
Cotinus cogg. 'Golden Spirit' Smokebush, Golden
Deutzia x kalmiiflora
Enkianthus campanulatus 'Showy Lanterns'
Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety'
Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride' Pearl-Bush
Fothergilla gardenii

Hope something on this list appeals to you.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #70377 Jun 19th, 2007 at 12:30 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
forsythia comes with a white flower????? i didn't know that!! i'm gonna have to find it somewhere (i don't like yellow...)

Zone 6b
Joclyn #70588 Jun 19th, 2007 at 05:32 PM
OP Offline
Wow, thanks for the ideas. I think I've fallen in love with the butterfly bushes - beautiful, inexpensive, and hardy in my zone.

check these out:

http://springhillnursery.com/search...290&gclid=CLe6jYe16YwCFRaHQAodajaJzw

I hope this url works. I haven't done this in here yet.

Stormy

Stormy
Stormysgrandma #70860 Jun 20th, 2007 at 05:12 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
it's at the big dipper nursery but they are not cheap.

The White forsynthia that is.

Last edited by tkhooper; Jun 20th, 2007 at 05:17 AM.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #75536 Jun 24th, 2007 at 08:41 PM
Hi,

I planted a yellow forsythia over Memorial weekend. It was a gorgeous and healthy plant and now it browning and the stalks are browning. I don't have a clue what to do. It was planted in good dirt with the fixing. We have a watering schedule here and I have watered it every other day. It's been very warm here. It gets at least 6 hours of full sun has great air flow. No bugs on it.

I'm stumped. Plus I'm new at all this gardening stuff..I thought a shrub would be easy!

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

new2it #75540 Jun 24th, 2007 at 08:49 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sounds like it needs more water. whenever you plant something that has roots (as opposed to bulbs) you really need to water it every day (if there's no rain) for about the first month so that the roots can get re-established.

a bit of water directly on the root area and then a good; deep watering at the 'drip line' (underneath the outermost part of the leaves or branches) will cause the roots to reach out to the moist soil - that helps the plant get established.

if the whole thing is brown and dry, you can probably get your money back or a replacement from the store you bought it from (most have a 1 year guarantee policy).

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image