Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75345 Jun 24th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
or cat food, doesn't matter...

we've always subscribed to the theory that an animal knows when it is full, and while there are times when you might need to restrict their food (to keep them from eating out of boredom for example) for the most part, a dog or cat will only eat what it needs.

but, i know of more and more people who won't feed their dogs or cats one piece more than the "recommended" amount in fear of the animal getting fat.

i was just wondering your take on the topic?

#75356 Jun 24th, 2007 at 05:01 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
see, that's my theory. the recommended amount is a starting point, not a hard fast rule.

#75506 Jun 24th, 2007 at 07:46 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think it depends on the animal--

We have to bribe my dog to eat--(Rod will give him a treat when all of his breakfast or supper is gone)--which often breakfast is eten as supper----

however my daughters dog will eat whatever & when ever there is food available
so I am thinking animals are like people--you need to treat each one as an individual and feed them accordingly.

Now my cat---will leave a few scraps in his bowl but be crying out to be fed---( my daughte4rs cat does the same thing)--we assume the cats are saving the last bit of their food in case it has to last for a long time--- thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #75509 Jun 24th, 2007 at 07:51 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I leave dry dog food for my dog all day/night to eat at will. He also gets table scraps.(loves people food) No over-eating problems here. But I do know dogs with eating disorders who will eat until they're sick. Usually those dogs have gone hungry in the past and also tend to get over weight.
I agree. It is as individual as feeding kids. (or adults!)

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #75700 Jun 25th, 2007 at 06:40 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
When we had one dog we left dry food always available for her and she ate only what she needed and left the rest. This lasted from puppyhood until she was 11 when unrelated medical problems necessitated us putting her to sleep. When we got the first of the two we have now, we did the same thing with no problems. When we got the second 18 months later, that stopped. They seemed to feel they were in competition and whoever ate all the food won. Now they get 1 scoop in the AM and 2 in the PM, which is a little less than the recomendation on the bag. The vet has always said they are at a good weight. We have always left dry constantly available for the cats, and they always keep themselves at a good weight no matter how many cats (we've had 1-3 at a time) or what their ages. Unfortunately, Mischa is supplimenting with a chipmunk right now.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #76325 Jun 25th, 2007 at 07:39 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
well, i was feeling rockwell's sides last night and i think he is about at his best weight. not as thin as he was, but he is definitely of better temperment, so i'm thinking he was perpetually hungry. i think, if he gets about half a scoop more than he did at each meal, he'll be just about right!

#77027 Jun 26th, 2007 at 04:18 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Jiffy sounds like you found the right formula for Rockwell. Like I said, I think animals are individuals just like people & you got to find out what works for you & your animal.

but FYI: we just got Dante` shaved for the summer. Up til then we were thinking he was getting a bit heavy. (not so much ground to run around in any more since the move) Well you could have knocked me over with a feather when we brought him home---he is not overweight--not under either, but definately not over weight. it truely surprised me.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #77676 Jun 27th, 2007 at 03:10 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Right now I leave dry food and water all day until Emmy gets 8 months then I'll gradually get her on an eating schedule mid morning and early evening per our schedule here. When I leave for work @ 6am I give her a treat as she gets put in her crate, then Dwights gets up @ 8 and feeds her , plays with her and give her another treat on his way out the door to work at 9:30.. I then get home between 3:30 - 4;30 and it playtime and eat big meal time. So she is already on a work schedule but she has food and water in her crate all day for now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
#80069 Jun 30th, 2007 at 08:18 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
We have 3 inside dogs.. a 125 lb. Choc. Lab, a 5 lb. Chihuahua and a 8 lb. Havanese. The Lab gets a huge bowl of dry food in the morning and it is usually gone by nighttime, though the little dogs pick at it all day long too. The smaller dogs are on a different food and I give them about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of their dry food in the morning.. and the Havanese also gets a pouch of Pedigree chunks at bedtime. Our cats get free choice all the time. None of our animals are over weight.. I think the best thing is to feed them what you think is the right amount, and watch their weight.. if it goes up, cut down on the food.. if they lose a little weight, add a little extra for them. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image