Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/modernblacksmith/wildflowers/
I love these plants and I try to incorporate them in some places in my garden,(the lady slipper is the exception) I've been doing a little study on the pink lady slipper and trying to learn what fungus is required for her successful growth, I've narrowed it down to something to do with hardwood leaf mold and more specifically birch leaves always seem to be nearby....and I've also realized that contrary to popular belief the pink lady's slipper orchid is quite common if you know where to look.....

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
Awesome pictures, awesome plants! thumbup

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
clap Beautiful!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hi Dan! The pink ladyslipper is the MN state flower and it is not too easy to find here! If you can find a place that has one you will usually find more in that general area but they are not just around the state everywhere! We have a yellow ladyslipper growing in our woods. They require a "boggy" area! The area in our woods where it is at is a very moist area with dappled sun!

Very pretty pictures! Looks like a wonderful place to go for a walk!

OP Offline
yesterday I spotted about 40-50 pink ladys slippers and the area possibly had ten times that I just stopped looking for them, they tend to grow in or near hardwood leaf compost in acidic and damp situations. I'm going to get to the bottom of how to grow them, I'm just waiting until they go to spores so I can experiment with germination. the yellow ladys slipper is beautiful and very rare around here, it was assumed to have been as plentiful in the past but it's herbal qualities caused it to be picked to near extinction. NO ONE SHOULD EVER TRY TO PICK OR PROPAGATE THESE PLANTS it kils them and you will never be able to grow them successfully, also it's illegal, in most places.....

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I love the lady's slipper, most of all the sundew! I've never seen them live before only in pictures

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image