Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74964 Jun 24th, 2007 at 06:46 AM
lou62 Offline OP
OP Offline
i am new to this forum perhaps this question has been addressed before. If so, can someone direct me to that topic?
My question is twofold:
first--I bought new hydranges this spring and planted. They looked great in the pot. Once in the ground, the leaves began to turn brown around the edges, very brittle, new growth appearing , but not getting taller nad the leaves keep doing the brown thing????? what to do??
Secondly: what is the easiest/surest method of propagating hydrangea?
thanks so much,

lou62 #74965 Jun 24th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi. Sounds like my hydrangeas when they need water. They also benefit from some shade during the day. Hydrangeas are very thirsty plants. And heavy feeders.
They can be propagated fairly easily from cuttings taken in spring, early summer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #75082 Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
hydrangea need some shade and they need lots of water - especially when you first plant them.

they will never do as well in full sun as they will when they get some afternoon shade. you can manage it tho, if you keep them very well watered.

also, when you water, water the soil directly. never wet the leaves as the sun on the water droplets on the leaves can cause burning. water the root ball directly AND make sure to do a good; deep soaking of the drip-line so that the roots will spread out to reach that moisture - helps get the plant established well and quickly.

i've never tried to propogate them...i would think soft-wood cutting or by splitting the root ball maybe - not sure if either works tho. you can always grab seeds.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #75092 Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:26 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image