Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73497 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 09:35 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to roses. I have a few questions about transplanting. First off, I live in West Georgia,it's June, and to top it off we are in a level 4 water restriction. (I can already hear the grunts and groans of the more experienced rose growers LOL!) I have a rose bush that absolutely needs to be transplanted to a new location and I am at a loss. From everything I have read this is the worse time to transplant, but am willing to give it a try.

I don't know what type of rose it is, since I did not plant it, but would appreciate any insight on the best and less stressful way to move it to it's new location. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

sporty_lady #73811 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 01:37 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
welcome!

you're correct in the thought that this really isn't the best time to move a rose bush!!

i moved one of mine at this time last year...i'm in a lower zone than you and i thought i was going to lose it. i'd really recommend that you wait until fall.

if you really can't wait, then plan on doing it really quickly - the less time the bush is out of the ground, the better!! also, an over-cast day would be ideal and doing this in the morning would be best.

so, plan ahead. get some root stimulant and have a batch made up. dig the hole at the new location - go larger than what you think you might need as that will save time in making it bigger later when you've got the bush up and the root ball is larger than you thougth it would be. trim the bush back by at least a third...you could even trim it back by half. i wouldn't go any more than that...it's going to need some greenery on it to make it through the transition.

the night before the move, water the bush well.

then, when you start to dig it up, start off about a foot away from the base of the canes and go down as deep as you can. you want to get all, if possible, of the roots - especially the main tap root. it's best to keep soil on the roots and, once you've got it up & out, wrap the root-ball in wet newspapers or a wet towel until you get it back in the ground.

at the new spot, pour in some of the root stimulant, throw in a few handfuls of soil and then place the root ball in. back fill with soil; put a little more of the root stimulant around the perimeter of the rootball, add more soil if needed and then water thoroughly.

you'll need to water around the drip line (and a little right over the root ball) every day until the bush has recuperated from the move. since you're in a drought situation, it will be slow going for the bush to revive - might even get to a point where it looks like it's not going to make it at all...just keep watering it regularly and it will make it!

i really thought i was going to lose mine last year...posted about it and was told about the root stimulant. i'm positive that using that (even after i'd already transplanted the bush) was key to its surviving...it bloomed beautifully a couple of weeks ago and is getting new blooms on it now.

good luck to you!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #74485 Jun 23rd, 2007 at 08:40 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
you can also make a tent with sticks,a ladder and drape a light colored sheet over it on real sunny days to help it along& when you plant it after watering it well put some mulch on it and water the mulch(pineneddles,pine bark ect) that will help hold in moisture& if worried about weeds just lay newsprint(not colored) under the mulch. I recomend going back by half if is alot of growth on plant.I transplanted some& lost the largest one(I was greedy,but got 2 small ones at least)If you plant in clay it might be good to add some gravel for drainage in the bottom portion.I know some of GA is red clay.I agree about the root starter.it does work wonders.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image