Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73342 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 07:44 AM
THache Offline OP
OP Offline
Our front lawn is half covered in what I've been told is crabgrass and it's spreading a little more every year. The past two years, we've had the lawn aerated and this year, my husband also used a dethatching blade on it. From a distance, it looks fabulous but I can see the curly patches even if most people can't. We also have a few spots of the taller form of crabgrass scattered around the yard. I'm not sure I even have it named properly. I was told it's crabgrass but who knows?

Is there a way of getting rid of crabgrass without damaging the 'good' grass around it?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

All the best,
Tammie
THache #73415 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 08:24 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
There are chemical fertilizers with crabgrass preventers in them. Check your local hardware or nursery.
Or oyu can dig the clumps out.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #74407 Jun 23rd, 2007 at 07:04 AM
THache Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Wrennie,

We've thought about the digging out aspect and it would be a huge job. We've considered many things with the front lawn, actually. It's two tiered and I'd eventually like to have so there's only grass on the bottom tier near the road. Unfortunately, it would be SOOO much work to get rid of the grass up top especially now that we have it so nice and established!

My husband saw something advertised earlier this spring that specifically mentioned crabgrass control but we can't find it. Do you know of something that will control it but not damage the rest of the lawn around it?

All the best,
Tammie
#74477 Jun 23rd, 2007 at 08:20 AM
THache Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks a bunch, Penny. I think that's exactly the stuff my husband saw advertised! We'll be in 'the city' next week and maybe we'll be able to find some there.

One question: when you used it, did regular grass grow where the crabgrass died or did you have to reseed those areas?

All the best,
Tammie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image