Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71109 Jun 20th, 2007 at 08:25 AM
OP Offline
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to do for spider mites in my spruce. I was told to use Seven - but then was told that will kill the bugs that kill the spider mites - any suggestions.

On another note, I have rabbits eating my petunias and daylillies! I don't want to kill them away I just want to deter them from continuing to make lunch/dinner out of my beautiful plants! Any suggestions??!

#71163 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:06 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I have a pet MALE black lop-eared bunny named, Two Bean Bags, who is VERY lonely for other bunnies, especially of the FEMALE persuasion. I will send him over to your house and he will keep the bunnies so. erm......OCCUPIED, that they won't even think about eating...... ANYTHING!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
#71497 Jun 20th, 2007 at 01:20 PM
Rabbits! Well, for what it's worth, here is the advice of the British Royal Horticultural Society:

Place a wire mesh fence 1.2-1.4m (4-4.5ft) high and 30cm (1ft) below ground level around gardens or flower beds; the bottom 30cm should be angled outwards to deter rabbits from burrowing underneath. The maximum mesh size should be 25-30mm (1in) to prevent young rabbits squeezing through.

For individual plants netting 90cm (3ft) high can be put up, without the need to bury part underground. Wire netting or spiral tree guards can be put around the base of young trees to prevent bark feeding.

An animal repellent, such as Vitax Stay Off or growing Success Wild Animal Repellent, can be applied to plants. This may not give complete protection, particularly during wet weather or when plants are growing actively. The product called Renardine no longer has approval for use as an animal repellent and is no longer on sale.

It may be possible to discover feeding preferences in the local rabbit population by looking at other nearby gardens. Avoid planting particularly susceptible plants and select those that survive.

starfish #72442 Jun 21st, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Penny's recipie for spider mites is good. Just be sure you spray before the sun gets too hot or after it's gone down in the evening. Otherwise you'll burn the needles of your spruce (you can also use neem oil available at a good nursery).

I've used blood meal as a repellant for rabbits and it works quite well. It's also a nice fertilizer. Problem is you have to reapply after rain. Keep it in a sealed bag, though. It stinks!

RkyMtnGardener #72997 Jun 21st, 2007 at 09:24 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I feed rabbits quartered apples and birdseed and they never touch my plants.

DeborahL #73447 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 08:47 AM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Penny's spider-mite idea is very helpful...
I just used it on my wonder eggs, and the mites fall right off! thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image