Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72626 Jun 21st, 2007 at 02:41 PM
Bob_O Offline OP
OP Offline
My jade plant, which is about 5 years old propagated from another plant's branch, has been losing leaves from the base up. They first appear to yellow, then shrivel and dry up to a hard leaf then drop off. I water once a week and there does not appear to be any pests. It stands about 2 feet tall with a main trunk about 1" diameter. It is in a 4" pot.

Any suggestions about what might be the problem?

Bob_O #72750 Jun 21st, 2007 at 04:53 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if you could post a pic, that would help.

how long has this branch been in a pot? by that i mean, has it rooted? what kind of pot and what kind of soil? does it get the same amount of sunlight as the original it came from? are you watering from above or letting the pot sit in water so it's soaked up into the soil?

the possible issues could be too much water or not enough - and if it's not rooted well enough yet, not enough water would be an issue. seeing a pic would really help :)

Zone 6b
Joclyn #74655 Jun 23rd, 2007 at 04:09 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
If I'm reading your post right and you have had it for 5 years in that 4" pot, it could need repotting. Jades like to be a bit pot bound, but if they are going to grow at the top, they need some room down below, too. Also, leaves don't last forever. What you describe is the way a healthy jade loosed leaves. Is it growing more from the top/ends of branches? How long has this been going on? Yes, a pic would be nice.

May God bless the WHOLE world!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image