Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71790 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:32 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I bought two butterfly bushes.. one pink and one blue/purple. The blue one has already bloomed and was very pretty. The pink one hasn't done anything yet..

But my question is, are the leaves on these supposed to be vibrant green? Cause some (several/alot) of mine are kind of a yellow-ish. I thought maybe I was over watering them.. do you know if they require very little water? They are still in the pots, not in the ground.. I can't decide where I want to put them. why

And also, after the blooms are done, do I just leave them alone, or should I cut that part off? The blue ones that have already bloomed, the bloom part is a dark gray now.. not very pretty. So yeah.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!! wavy

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You can trim off the spent blooms.They might re-bloom for you too. Some types will seed prolifically and give you baby plants where you don't want them.
Yes the leaves should be a medium/dark green. I don't know what your problem might be. Have you ever fed them? I use a general fertilizer on mine with even numbers across the board like 14/14/14.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #71798 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:45 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well I really hope it blooms again.. I guess I thought they would bloom all summer.. they don't? :o(

My leaves are not the right color then.. *sigh* I haven't used any type of fertilizer on them.. and the only thing I have is Miracle Grow.. is that ok to use, or not??

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Miracle grow should be fine. they will bloom most of the summer in the ground. I've never done them in pots.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #71803 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:52 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well, they are supposed to be in the ground.. and I am going to insist to hubby that he help me figure out a place to put them this weekend.. he just hates mowing around all my new stuff.. neener

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image