Print Thread
Rate Thread
#70753 Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:14 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I had posted another topic regarding my water in the pond... but we were more talking about what plants and such I needed to get.. I have a water hyacinth now, 3 small water lettuce, and some parrots feather.

I have a filter with my pump, the kind with the foam inserts and the little black bio balls. I just don't think it is doing a very good job or something. The bottom of my pond is very dirty.. with, well, dirt. It is brown clay.. but that isn't what concerns me so much.. it is the water itself. It is brown too.. at least it looks brown.. a dark brown.. not clay brown, like the dirt. A friend of mine who also has a pond said it is just algae.. she hasn't seen it though.. and it isn't green.. it is brown. I don't mind some algae growth on the bottom and sides.. but I want my water to be clear.. I can't see my filter at the bottom and when my fish go deep I can't see them either. :o(

I bought some Pond Water Clear at Lowe's when I was there several days ago.. I put the right amount in for my size pond, I kind of had to guess on the gallon size, but I think I was pretty close. The stuff is for cloudy water.. well it didn't do a thing. So what should I do? badday Do I need to get stuff for algae??

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Are you having an algae bloom? I understand that happens about once a year or so? I don't have a pond but I believe Afrgrey has all the information on that. Maybe you could pm her.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
I was having a similiar problem, Pinky. I put a filter on my pump and checked the next day and the water was still gross. I pulled it out and then rinsed the filter once a day. In two days I had perfectly clear water. Now I can see the dirt on the bottom and I'm not sure I really want to see that. lol Maybe your filter is clogged and needs to rinsed.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
not to mention, that when you are trying to get a new pond "cycled" to get the water right, rinsing your filter on a regular basis is a good thing anyway.

#71600 Jun 20th, 2007 at 04:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I think I'm gonna use the tube on the side of my filter box to run it to an Adams Filter too....mine just hasn't cleared up the way I thought it would...then again it's in a lot of sun and that isn't good either. Sun equals Algae.

So I need more shade, and probably the Adams Filter...

I think we have the same pump/filter from Lowes...the kit, well if you look on the side there should be a small tube coming out where you can run something for a waterfall, etc...you might want to consider doing an Adams Filter too....

As soon as I'm back from vacation I'm making one up. But not one to go in the pond, one for the outside of the pond in a planter or something.....I think Cindy's is an Adams Filter on the outside of her pond.

Adams Filter

#71774 Jun 20th, 2007 at 08:46 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. I don't know what algae bloom is.. why So I have no idea if that is what is going on..

I will start cleaning my filter everyday.. gah.. I HATE the idea of getting in that pond to get the filter box out.. ick!!! rspb

I have no idea what kind of setup our filter has an additional output on the side.. hubby set it all up.

And this Adams filter.. is that just a bigger version of the filter we have?? I was really hoping we wouldn't have to put any more money into more filters etc.. bleh.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I know, I was hoping I wouldn't have to either...you'd think one filter would do the job. Basically it's a big homemade filter....people swear my it working. why

I pull the filter out with the cord, even though it says not too....very gently. thumbup

#71791 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:34 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ohhhh.. a big homemade filter.. bleh. I think I will try cleaning my filter out more.. I am sure it hasn't been getting done enough.. cause I wouldn't do it, cause I didn't want to get in the pond.. and hubby just doesn't have the time to do it as often as needed maybe. :wink:

Ha ha.. I will try your trick, GENTLY pulling it up by the cord!! thumbup Thanks!!!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
another way to "filter" the water is to have a "pre" pool for the water fall that runs through some water plants. that is what i use my top pot for. i put the water lettuce there, and it "catches" the algae and anything else the pump sends out.

#74243 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 11:55 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well, we have a pre pool sort of.. if you saw pics of my pond.. we have a smaller pool at the top that the waterfall flows into and then it goes into the main larger area of the pond.. but what do you do with the water lettuce once it gets all gunked up with algae and dirt?

500 Posts
500 Posts
I know this will sound very weird... but it worked for me(I have a pond with 20+ goldfish) go to any good pet shop and ask for "Koi Clay", you guessed it, it's a special kind of clay. It's very good with goldfish/koi, it boosts their health, gives the fish the required trace minerals they need(They will even try eat it lol) and plus clear the water ... fight fire with fire, fight clay with clay lol.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
i've never heard of koi clay, but it sounds interesting and might would clear the water.

as for the gunky water lettuce, it grows so fast that the gunky stuff gets tossed on the compost pile! good for that too!!!

#87243 Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. I didn't know you could get Koi Clay at pet shops.. I thought you had to order it online.. I am gonna do that the next time I go in town.. I wonder if Petland carries it.. if not, I will have to go the other direction.. we have another pet shop.. Pet Supplies Plus that might have it. thumbup Thanks!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image