Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71517 Jun 20th, 2007 at 01:47 PM
OP Offline
Do you guys think is worth buying a compost bin? or are there cheaper ways to make our own compost? i have a lot of organic trash and if i could put it to good use i would love it.

If you haven't got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want.
dulcimiel80 #71686 Jun 20th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
Hi Dulci,

I have been gardening and composting for years. I wouldn't do it any other way, we have a Rubber Maid composting house. We also fenced in an area of the garden and just throw the composting stuff on a pile. The second method may take longer but it's still do-able. The soil you will get in return is well worth the wait. Actually hubby and I jokingly fight over the "Black Gold" Soil. The soil is a fine texture and does not resemble dirt at all. It's great for growing flowers and veges. We have composted for many years, I would recommend composting to everyone.

Kratz7

Kratz7 #71827 Jun 21st, 2007 at 12:19 AM
I've just started composting, and I also don't have a lot of space, so I have a wooden box made out of pallets, about a meter cubed (1m x 1m x 1m). I then have a black composter bin. I use the two in combination. I fill the wooden first, with all my kitchen scraps, lawn mowings, cuttings, guinea pig beddings, etc. I stir this at least once a week. When this is full (or I reach autumn and need to start a fresh with all the leaves), I empty the black bin, and refill with my almost complete compost from the wooden bin.

The stuff I have 'cooking' in my plastic bin has only been in there a few months, and it's so crumbly and lovely, I think the garden is going to be very happy with me soon :-)

Good luck if you give it a go, it's well worth it! And also dramatically cuts down on your refuse waste - also a bonus.

DanielNewman007 #71850 Jun 21st, 2007 at 04:21 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I just pile it up in a corner of the garden and turn it once a week or two. It's slow but I got 60 gallons last year. That's quite a haul. And is it great for the garden. I've never had happier plants.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #109241 Aug 13th, 2007 at 04:12 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
what would cook faster? a plastic bin, wooden bin, or chicken wire bin?

[Linked Image]
sibyl #109278 Aug 13th, 2007 at 04:55 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Christy I would say anything that holds the heat in better, like a trashcan with a lid, but still pokes holes in sides and bottom for air circulation. The chicken wire would be a slower process except for the center of the pile. Also I throw in Peat moss to help move it along ( cooking ) faster, as well as beer! Girl I throw a lot of stuff in mine coke, pepsi, beer, fish peatmoss, coconut fiber soil out of pots , Bonemeal/bloodmeal ( like when I have a bit left in the bag ~I just toss in there!)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #109443 Aug 13th, 2007 at 09:33 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
grin my hubs has a big black trash bin in the garage! i was wondering if i could use that notme grin
right now im just using a old tub thing, its small n takes forever! since i got my first real black gold {even though it was smelly} i want more! lol

[Linked Image]
sibyl #109500 Aug 14th, 2007 at 04:15 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you don't need bins unless you want them. A pile works just fine. I started out with a black 33 gallon trash can with attached lid. turning it was a major pain. And by the time the compost decomposes I didn't end up with enough to make it worth while. Now I have a pile that is the optimal size and I get enough to share with friends.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #109855 Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:25 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
i like the idea of the trash can bin, i have fields all around me in the back yard, my neighbor lets it all grow up then bails it, so i get weeds flyin every were, most of my "grass" in the back is realy weeds cut down to look like grass! lol. if we let it get to high it looks like the field behind us!
im thinkin if turning becomes a proublem [ cause it is a tall big trash can] i could always lock the lid n give it a good around the yard, lol
i would love to just have a pile, but with the weeds n mice im scared to

[Linked Image]
sibyl #109985 Aug 14th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The heat kills the seeds and the turning stops the weeds also. As far as mice. If you don't use food scrapes it's not a problem. If you do use food scrapes you'll have mice with or without the bin. They can get in anywhere.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #121940 Aug 31st, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Some suggestions:

I don't see mentioned in the above posts to keep the compost moist, as in a wrung out sponge moist. Moisture along with heat gets the material cooking. A black or dark tarp over a compost pile and anchored on four corners with rocks is ideal for drawing heat and preventing rain from washing away the good things.

For the trash can raise it about knee high on its side in a sunny spot. Secure the lid and cut a good sized three sided flap in the side of the can. This will make for easier turning of the compost material. Make two fasteners to close the flap. Now that garden tools are on sale look for two sturdy long handle handtool rakes to turn materials. Provide drainge vents or holes.

A totally enclosed composter will produce compost faster than a pile in a open sided bin. A tarp covered pile will produce compost faster than a bare pile.

If compost is smelly it isn't getting enough oxygen. If the pile doesn't get oxygen, water and heat what you are getting is not compost. Turning compost on a regular basis gets oxygen into the mix

Kratz7 #131761 Sep 20th, 2007 at 04:47 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Kratz7
Hi Dulci,

I have been gardening and composting for years. I wouldn't do it any other way, we have a Rubber Maid composting house.

Kratz7

Rubber Maid composting house? Explain?

PattyM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image