Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi all! I'm sooo excited! I found the name of a plant that my mother grew at my childhood home! I've been looking for it for so long, but couldn't identify it by it's correct name.

My mom called them touch-me-nots. There are, however, many different plants called touch-me-nots.
I finally found the right plant. It's called Impatiens balsamina (balsamina hortensis) - They get light pink, dark pink, and lavender flowers. They are really easy to grow, and I don't remember my mom ever complaining about pests or disease. The seed pods pop open and drop seeds that germinate the next year.

Check out these web sites:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/2561/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impatiens_balsamina

Thepicture on the second site doesn't really do them justice - mom's plants were literally covered with blossoms. The bees and butterflies love them.

If anyone has these seeds, or will have them this summer, I will buy them or trade. I don't know what I have to trade, but I'll find something! This is a memory I really want to bring to life in my own garden, and I haven't found any other place to get the seeds.

Last edited by Stormysgrandma; Jun 19th, 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Stormy
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Isn't it so nice to find those 'lost' things from your past?
I have grown Balsamina in the past but have none now. Someone should have some to share soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got my balsa from Park's seeds they had it listed as an impatient and had the wrong picture listed with it.

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ohhh those are very pretty!! I have never seen them I don't think! Do they require shade like the rest of the impatiens family??

OP Offline
I think they need at least partial shade. My mom grew them on the north side of our garage and family room. They're easy to grow, too. I don't remember my mom doing anything to them except occasional watering.

Bees and butterflies love them. These will add to my bee food in my yard. With the loss of honey bees throughout the country, I think we need to grow things that bees like that won't have pesticides on them. Each seed pod has hundreds of seeds that come up the next year if you leave them on the plants, and you can still collect for other beds or friends.

They're great for trading or just giving away, because you will have sooo many seeds. Hint-Hint! :-)

Stormy
Stormy,

I think Dodge has those. I started a lot of impatiens from seed this year, including the ones I got in a swap or trade from Dodge. Hers looked different from the beginning -- taller, more robust, in fact, so tall and so robust I had to take them away from the others because they were hitting the lights while the other impatiens were way down, too far away from the lights. (I sow indoors under lights)

Why don't you PM her and ask?

PG
I have some of the balsam. I started them indoors too early I think. They are not looking too good right now. I can get some seeds for you. I could try a cutting for you if you'd like. Is it a little late to start seeds in your area?
Diane

buzz buzz buzz

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image