Print Thread
Rate Thread
#70352 Jun 19th, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Is it late enough to start allowing my Mums to bud? I've been pinching off the buds until now but I don't have much flowering in the garden right now and So I'm wondering if I can let it flower now or if I should wait longer. I want them to still bloom in the fall. Thankyou for your advice?

[Linked Image]
#70387 Jun 19th, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I would like to know what to do too because mine are budding! I just bought them last year so this is the first time I will have to do this!

#70695 Jun 19th, 2007 at 07:52 PM
I pinched a bunch I had purchased at WalMart this spring. I don't expect them to come back next year but today I did pinch the buds. I really am working for fall color. You could pinch some & leave some to bloom? The mums are one of the last plants to freeze in my area so to keep the plants going we cover them during the first frost & even some after that. Actually the blooms look even brighter after the first frost.

Bonny #70699 Jun 19th, 2007 at 07:58 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I like mums too but I never can get them to do what I want them to.
For example, after I deadhead, there are only brittle leaves for so long that I get mad and toss 'em.
And the stems where I trim, no matter how far down I trim to hide the cut, look ugly.
I would LOVE a sea of mums !

DeborahL #70856 Jun 20th, 2007 at 05:10 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Are you talking about deadheading the last of the flowers in the fall? Otherwise new growth will cover the cut stem in about a week. At least it does for me. And I have one that has went ape this year. Wish I had a camera. It's almost 2 feet across which is amazing since this spring it fit in an 8 inch pot.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #71981 Jun 21st, 2007 at 06:39 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I let mine bloom then I cut them back.They are useually done by July anyway.And the tops I cut off.they root easy anyway.I've not had luck with seeds off my yellow,but some of the others have done well from seed,I just don't mess with the seed.They work best fresh.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #75867 Jun 25th, 2007 at 08:26 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Here's my yellow blooming.
flowers/June232007yellowsunshinemums.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
these we're the fall cuttings last year rooted in this pot.I killed something in this...forget now.but obviously it did not return.I have a variegated JMG Keria in this growing up the stick.It should just be starting to bloom when I cut these back.This was my origainal lil .89 plant in 6 in pot 6 yrs ago maybe now.I'll cut those back in next 2 weeks and root what I cut& these will bloom again in November.Its a daylight thing I think.I just take advantage of the longer grow season and let them grow& bloom.

TK let a branch bloom and pinch rest off and then root the branch you let bloom and see if it blooms for the fall.I never find the pink daisy form for sale down here.just whites yellows/oranges/burgandy.Kings has a good cutting selection online.
http://www.kingsmums.com/

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image