Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69734 Jun 18th, 2007 at 09:39 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
This might sound like a silly question.. but my oldest daughter, 18, is terrified of them.. she insists they bite or sting.. I have never heard of them biting or stinging, but I don't know for sure..

Does anyone know? Ever been bitten or stung?

Thanks for your help.. in advance. thumbup

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't think they bite or sting. They are beneficial insects in that they eat mosquitoes and things. And they are often beautiful. Try to tell her that they eat the bugs that DO bite. And I have never had any that got close to me or dive bombed me.
That said, my son (13 down syndrome) doesn't like any insect that flies near him. And I just cannot explain the difference to him between types of bugs.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #69743 Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Tina!! I appreciate the input.. I am currently looking up a bit of information about the Dragonfly on the internet, and it also says, NO they do not bite or sting.. my daughter is nuts! touched ha ha ha I don't know where she ever heard that they do.. but at least now I know for sure.

My younger daughter, 10, on the other hand, is not afraid of anything.. which worries me sometimes.. LOL lol

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse
My younger daughter, 10, on the other hand, is not afraid of anything.. which worries me sometimes.. LOL lol

Yes, a healthy respect for critters eases mother's minds. Ted loves all mammals. I'm afraid he'll corner a raccoon for a kiss or something (shudder). But he is not too fond of snakes and that is good. We have caught 3 small rattlers and two large ones in the last week or so. They are certainly on the prowl.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #69794 Jun 19th, 2007 at 04:47 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I get them to land on my hand all the time.they use to sit on my toes in the pool.cute creatures.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Tina #69799 Jun 19th, 2007 at 04:50 AM
Well, Pinky, I dont want to contradict what you've found so far, but i've just read the following, regarding their ability to bite (seems they definitely cant sting though!), which was in resposne to someone on another site who asked a similar question:
' ... Dragonflies are large predatory insects, so they have the ability and equipment to bite if they wanted. Typically they wont bite if they land on you, but if you handle them roughly thay can give you a nice nip … they have very powerful jaws that they use for chewing up other flying insects.
Female dragonflies have appendages at the posterior tip of the abdomen that resemble a stinger superficially, but it is actually known collectively as an ovipositor, it is the apparatus used to deposit eggs below the surface of the water (it can break the water tension).

starfish #70092 Jun 19th, 2007 at 08:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've had the coolest black and white dragonfly around my pond!

With the small pond I didn't have any, but it seems to like this new bigger pond! clap

It likes to follow me around.

#70146 Jun 19th, 2007 at 09:47 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
When I would go camping and gold panning there were beautiful blue and red ones!! They loved to hang around. They would sit on the edge of the pan while I was swirling the water around...I use to talk to them!!!
They would sit on my knees!!! They'd run their long, curled up tongue, or whatever that is they taste with, and touch it around on my knee!! between it and their little feet it would tickle!!! I use to say they were giving me little kisses!! Naw, they don't bite!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #70735 Jun 19th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
can they bite? YES.

DO THEY BITE???? NO.

lots of things can bite, but most do not. dragon flies don't. but lots of folks have thought they bite because they are also called devil's darning needles. they are beautiful, and graceful.

#70751 Jun 19th, 2007 at 11:38 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies guys! This was a good topic. I love dragonflies.. LOVE them! I wish there were more around.

500 Posts
500 Posts
I learnt a hard lesson, they CAN bite if you try catch them

But on the lighter side if you throw a small object up in the air, they will chase that small item

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
"Dragonflies do not normally bite or sting humans (though they will bite in order to escape, for example, if grasped by the abdomen)."

other info at Dragonflies and Damselfies

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image