Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68744 Jun 18th, 2007 at 06:07 AM
OP Offline
Here's some basic info: I bought a beautiful bright pink and deep purple fuchsia in a plastic hanging pot 3 weeks ago. It was one of about 50 at a local greenhouse. Most of them were weak and wilted, which I may have mistaken for not enough water. I picked the healthiest plant - not wilted, leaves and flowers in good shape. (I paid $19 !! - the most I've ever paid for a hanging plant!) The plant is still in its original 12" hanging pot. It is hanging under my fabric-topped gazebo (in the middle near the air vent) on my deck which faces northwest. Our weather has been intensely hot, so I've watered almost every day - in the evening after it cools down. I've used Miracle-Gro Starter fertilizer once.

The problem is my beautiful fuchsia is sick - the leaves look bug-eaten - not just on the edges, but all over the leaves. The leaves drop easily. The blossoms are weaker. The larger leaves are dry and curled on the ends and edges. There is lots of new growth at the top, but the leaves are much smaller. New blossoms are forming and opening, but they don't last long. (I am deadheading the spent blossoms) Two days ago, I took the plant down to check the soil - I discovered hundreds of little off-white beads on top of the soil - at first I thought they were fertilizer pellets, but when you pinch them they pop open and white goo comes out. I'm positive they are some kind of bug egg - I don't know what. I don't know if these eggs were there when I bought the plant.

I spent two hours with a teaspoon, picking out all of the "eggs." Then I dusted the plant with Sevin dust, the only thing I had around the house. The plant seems to be a little stronger after 2 days, but the blossoms are still weak and leaves are still dropping.

What in heavens name are these eggs from? Should I repot? What insecticide should I use (concerned about hummingbirds and beneficial bugs)? What fertilizer and how much. How much water? Antifungal? I'm determined to save my beautiful fuchsia.

Sorry so long-winded, but I wanted to give you as much info as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stormy
Stormysgrandma #68925 Jun 18th, 2007 at 09:14 AM
Not sure what your bugs are, but fuschia likes filtered sunlight (so that you've got right). They love tons of water too, but they need good drainage. Hope someone else has more for you...

Snapdragon
snapdragon #70629 Jun 19th, 2007 at 06:32 PM
OP Offline
I fertilized my fuchsia with Miracle Gro on Sunday, and sprayed it with Bon-Neem insecticidal soap last night. Today we had an inch of rain in an hour. Even with the gazebo top, the leaves got quite a bit of rain through the air vent. Blossoms are still forming, opening, and then fading in about 24 hours.
Is insecticidal soap resistant to rain?

Along with the rain we finally had a cooler day - high of 81 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and 83. Then back to the 90s again. They're talking 99 degrees for next Tuesday. ugh! This is Indiana, not Nevada! Would it help to take my plant inside in the afternoon on these extremely hot days?

If anyone has additional suggestions, I'm listening. :-)

Stormy

Stormy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image