Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66179 Jun 14th, 2007 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
Hello got a question regarding gladiolus?I know you plant them 2-6 inches deep and about 5 inches apart but i live in zone 6 Ohio and wonder someone told me you have to dig them up but wasn't sure in my zone if I would have to do that or not so can anyone who grows them tell me?I want to get some for my new flower bed which should be ready next season and want to make sure first?Rita

ladystressout #66310 Jun 14th, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I live in zone 6 and personally I've never dug mine up. I know my mom always did---but I haven't and mine come up each year. I mulch over them really good.

I think you SHOULD be okay....but if you really don't want to chance it, you might want to dig them up. I just get most of mine from the Dollar General for $2 for 5 bulbs or something. So I'm not out of a lot if they didn't come up. But if I special ordered expensive ones I would probably dig them up.

#66416 Jun 14th, 2007 at 01:24 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I live in zone 6 too. I think just to be safe I would dig them up.

If Ohio is anything like Illinois---you could have a mild winter or you could have freezing weather for weeks on end. My Aunt & Uncle always dug theirs up---but store them in a cool dry place. MY aunt put hers in an outside shed & they froze there.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #66449 Jun 14th, 2007 at 02:55 PM
basically,its a crapshoot.
i have dug em up in the past here in st louis but i left em in last year.
they ALL came up this year and look just fine. also left the dahlias in and they came up also.

porter57 #66577 Jun 14th, 2007 at 11:04 PM
Hello; I'am also in zone 6 in Michigan,just north of Detroit and
I've always dug mine up in the fall and harvest the corns,I think
that is what they are call, anyway, and plant them in a pot in my
basement over winter,then plant them outside in early spring.

I clean the bulbs and soak them in a solution of 10-1 water and bleach
to kill any desease or bugs, then let them dry in a box,uncovered.

I store them in the basement on the floor,in the box. the cold floor
will cause them to go dorment.

I'am "glad" you like glads....
Donnie

Sometimes I wake up grouchy,other days I just let her sleep,while I'am outside in the garden she is
counting sheep. (%$#@%*#&@) sorry honey,I didn't
say that...honey put down that hoe... :(
swampfox #66921 Jun 15th, 2007 at 08:32 AM
OP Offline
thank you all for the information that really help think I will leave my in the ground and put straw over them for mulch?Now would anyone have any to share with me next season will pay for the postage or trade for some bulbs I got?tulips,pear cactus which is hardy? Rita How deep do you plant them and how far apart?I heard they grow 24 to 36 inches tall?

ladystressout #67061 Jun 15th, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
they can be placed as close as 6 inches apart. But I would suggest father apart becausse that way you have room for babies for a few years. About every three years you will have to divide them. As far as depth...3 times the height of the bulb works well for me. Also about the mulch for over the winter. I was told to use 3 inches of leaf mulch and it worked great for me. The bulbs got so excited by all the nutrients as the leaves broke down that they all had twins so I had lots and lots of babies to give away.

Unfortunately I don't have any to give away right now sorry.

Glads need to be staked and that needs to be done before they develop their roots. I found that a grid method worked really well and that way I didn't have to worry about distrubing any roots. Also twine is cheaper than stakes.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #67585 Jun 16th, 2007 at 07:41 AM
OP Offline
HEllo and what is a grid method?I will not be able to plant them until next year just leaving the bed along till some of the compost and mulch help the soil along making it better so I can start to plant hoping next year?Thank you

Last edited by ladystressout; Jun 16th, 2007 at 07:43 AM.
ladystressout #67591 Jun 16th, 2007 at 07:58 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Put stakes that stick out about 30 inches above the ground into the 4 corners of your bed. Then run twine around the perimeter at a height of about 18 to 24 inches above the ground. Then every 6 to 8 inches tie a piece of twine from front to back on the perimeter twines and then do the same on the perimeter twine on the sides until the twine looks like a grid from above. As the glads grow up the string will hold them in place so that strong winds don't knock them down and it will give enough support that the blooms won't cause them to fall over either. Put the twine at the lower height if you plan to use the glads in cut flower arrangements.

For the best landscaped look I would plan on planting them in succession. Some one week and then wait two weeks and then some more then wait two weeks and then some more. This will give you continuous blooms through out the summer. Rather than have them all bloom at once. But it is just a suggestion.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #68788 Jun 18th, 2007 at 06:31 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
When I lived Indpls.I dug my glads after the foliage dies,washed um& dried um on a screen then stored in peat moss in trash can but laid screen on top not the lid.think there was a year I missed some,but was 9 inches of mulch(pinebark) so I'm sure that helped& they we're against the house beside the steps.you can plant them deeper to help give them support.mine are planted 8 inches deep behind the pond
flowers/June102007gladiolusbehindpond.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

The yellow one fell over cause we had 40 mph winds briefly saturday.I like it much better not haveing to dig them now with living in TX.I actually still have a bag of 25 to plant(I've not decided where)I think if you we're to try to CHANCE it in your zone.Do a raised bed the soil warms faster and will drain better& no straw(attracts mice)use pinebark mulch or cypress mulch about 9 inches of it& sprinkle some bonemeal when planting.

I have some of mine set seeds.I enjoy scattering them.I also like the 2 toned glads& trying to get more of the later blooming ones& fall ones.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
#69845 Jun 19th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
you still have time to plant them most bloom in 65-100 days.Thats why it don't bother me about the bag of purples.I'm close to knowing where they are going.I just have to check the 'bed 'to see if can fit 25 holes in it.I may still buy the bag of pinks.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #72212 Jun 21st, 2007 at 08:54 AM
OP Offline
Hello tkhooper and thank you very much for the info.now just got to get some?Hope you and your family are doing well and that you are enjoying the summer time?Bye for now Rita

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image