Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68359 Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:27 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Today we went "fishing" at the local mud-hole and I saw two of the most beautiful birds. I think one was a great kiskadee--not a real great-big bird, a bright yellow body with a black mask. The other bird I saw I thought was a piece of trash. It was about the same color as a blue on a pepsi bottle--bright and shiny. Very small. About the size of a large hummingbird. (Well, DH says it was 4-6 inches big and I say 3-4 inches.) When it flew off (I was clamoring to get my camera) it didn't have a very large wingspan. But I couldn't see the wings either (they were going very fast). Now I've combed through several lists of hummers in the area, and really can't find any that fit a solid blue-backed hummer. Any ideas, suggestions?

So can lightning strike twice? Can you identify this based on my description?

Thank-you!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Great kiskadee 9 3/4" long 15" wingspan. Sound like it? Their range isnt usually in your state. Or even close.
Whole body yellow or just the underside? Small? big? Compared to say a cardinal?
it could have been a couple different warblers or an oriole too.

You sure it was a hummingbird?
I dont know of any hummers that bright all over. Indigo buntings are small and bright blue, cerulean and black throated blue warblers look blue but not quite what i'd call pepsi can.

Last edited by Wrennie; Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
The possible great kiskadee was larger than a cardinal. About the color of your gremlins at the campfire, Wrennie. I know that it's belly and underside of the wings were yellow, and it had...kinda like a black mask, I think. It definitely had yellow shoulders though 'cause I saw it up in the tree, and could see the yellow above the wings. It was in a bunch of leaves, so it was hard to see all of it. Most places said that the kiskadee only goes up to Texas but Wikopedia mentioned it as a KS bird. Do you know of any other birds that look relatively similiar to it?

I wasn't sure if the blue bird was a hummer or not. I just don't know any other birds that are so pretty and small. Definitely looks like the indigo bunting. I'll show DH and see if he agrees when he gets back from the store.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Your first bird sounds just like a male Common Yellow-Throated Warbler. The second bird, I am fairly certain is a male Indigo Bunting. I saw one just last Thursday across the road from my house.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
But yellowthroats arent bigger than a cardinal.
hmmm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image