Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68325 Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:53 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Last year I purchased two dinnerplate hibiscus, blush (light pink) and red. Each were potted. If memory serves me correctly, I got single blooms on each plant and they were magnificant! I mulched over in winter, then in early spring re-potted to larger pots. This year the blooms are multi flora rather than single. Anyone know why? Take a look.

[Linked Image]

I'm wondering how each dinnerplate will have their own space to do their own thing. rolz

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Young plants often only have one bloom, but more mature plants will have many blooms on the same stem. They won't all bloom at the same time, but even so they will still have room. Here are a some photos of a few of mine that are several years old. Hopefully, you can see what I mean.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/DSCF0968.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/DSCF1355.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/DSCF1352.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/alankhart/DSCF1348.jpg

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Alankhart, that makes sense. Now I get the idea. Thanks!
Thanks for links of your dinnerplates. They are absolutely beautiful! flwr

#68551 Jun 17th, 2007 at 08:01 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I have one of these.. it is a hardy hibiscus.. and it is gorgeous.. a pretty pink in color. Mine aren't blooming yet. It is about 5 years old. I had it in the center of my Perennial garden and about 2 years ago decided we needed to try to transplant it cause I was getting HUGE and taking up the whole garden. So we moved it to the corner of our deck and it is doing wonderfully. It just gets bigger and bigger every year. I think next year I am going to try to separate some of it and give it to my sister. I will post some pics later this summer when mine are in full bloom.. it is quite breathtaking.

Alan, I WANT some of that white one with the red center!! It is beautiful!!!

2k Posts
2k Posts
Allan those are wonderful.really like the pink red center.I've not grown that one.I grow the white red eye,its doing better this year and will have more blooms than other years it seems(lots of buds)but mine don't seem to get over 3 ft.I've had it 5 years now,maybe 6.My Tx star red has returned,but its growing very slow.

Cindy mine die down each winter and return with new canes.I have 4 canes this year(with cinderblock proping as a pre formed pot.....dog walked through it.i'm sure the canes will root just fine& enjoy the added dirt as well)mine aren't dinner plates,just regular hardy hibiscus.I use to grow an awesome burgandy dinnerplate with some awesome whiteflys.poor thing looked like it had dandriff or snow all the time.the blooms use to cover most the plant.my nephew tried to help me one day.He beat it with fly swatter.I retired the plant.It was about 4x4.I don't see many in its color either.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
#68823 Jun 18th, 2007 at 07:41 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Cindy,
Last year I purchased 2 potted dinnerplates. I mulched over in their pots. They came back this spring, then I re-potted to larger pots.

Pinkhorseofcourse,
I would love to see pics of yours. Sounds lovely!

njoynit,
Thanks for your input and pics! Yours looks similar to mine. That burgundy one you spoke of sounded cool. Hope you can eventually find a replacement.

Thanks Penny!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image