Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68035 Jun 16th, 2007 at 08:59 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
We now have a new inhabitant of the pond.. a turtle.. came wandering in tonight. Hubby said he was a box turtle and that he wouldn't get in the water.. 45 minutes later he was happily submerged beside my new water plant. Probably thinking, "LUNCH!" I got a cute picture of him cause I wanted to see if anyone could identify what kind it is.. since he obviously wanted in the water. We took him out and put him by the side when we came in the house a little bit ago.. I was afraid he would want out and not be able to climb the sides.. if he jumps in again, he is on his own.

[Linked Image]

Also, the plant he has shoved his head in is called Fiber Optic Grass. It was in pots at the garden center I visited yesterday and I mentioned to the lady that I liked it and was considering putting some beside my pond, but I have so many things there now I wasn't sure WHERE I would fit it in and she told me to just plunk the whole pot down in the water and that it would do great.. So I did. ;) We shall see how it does!

Bleh, might help if I add the link to the pic eh?? blush

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 16th, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I love that grass!!! They had some at my nursery and I picked it up and then put it back down! I didn't know you could plop it down in the water like that! Let me know how it does!

Cute turtle! Does he have a name? lol

#68050 Jun 16th, 2007 at 09:16 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Loz!! Yeah, I thought the grass was great!! And it looks really nice where I have it.. I really hope it does well.. as she said. I will keep you posted! thumbup

And no, the turtle does not have a name, yet. But he was so sweet tonight.. lol My 10 year old was out there with him and he was stretching his neck out and allowing her to pet him.. I was just praying it wasn't a baby snapper!! shock She said she just LOVES her new turtle!! lol Odds are, he will be long gone by morning..

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I hope he doesn't eat all your plants! lol

It's cool that she could pet it, last year our bullfrog got so used to us it let Mark pet it and just sat there. lol

#68238 Jun 17th, 2007 at 08:56 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I'm no turtle expert but he does look like a box turtle
see google box turtle pics
You can lay a branch, piece of driftwood into the water so he can use it like a ladder to get out.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
#68462 Jun 17th, 2007 at 05:04 PM
I hope you don't have fish in your pond most water turtles love a good fish meal.He's looks like he is a type of slider but I need to see his belly marks.And don't worry,snapping turtles are not that colorful or that friendly.

Well, I think you must give him/her a name!

I suggest that if it's male, call him Aeschylus. He was an ancient greek poet, who lived around 2500 years ago and who died when an eagle, carrying a turtle aloft so it could drop it on a rock and crush its shell, saw Aeschylus' bald head and dropped the poor creature on him, killing him.

#69731 Jun 18th, 2007 at 09:33 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
We actually do have fish in our pond.. 5 of them.. but the turtle went for a swim in the upper half of the pond.. it is blocked off with rocks from the other part.. and that is where the fishies are.. so it was ok..

And whoever he was, he is gone. I figured he would be. He was gone by morning. Just wanted to stop by and go for a swim I guess. But we still have all the frogs, hundreds of tadpoles and the fishies... I have even been seeing a couple dragonflies zooming around during the day.. they like the water too!

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
how cute! it is a box turtle, if i remember right, the males have red eyes and the females have brown. OR VICA VERSA!

let us know how the grass does, i also looked at some at lowes but did not get any. i like it better seeing it IN a pond! now i wish i had!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Awww.. I wish I would have know that about the eyes sooner.. oh well. LOL Tis ok. thumbup

And as for the grass, it seems to be doing just fine.. I kind of thought it looked a bit more yellow.. like from over watering, but I think that is all in my head!!! touched ROFL I just can't believe that a plant that is planted in dirt, can live in the water.. imagine how much water it must require if it was planted in the ground! shock

I will let you know if it starts going downhill though. lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image