Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64486 Jun 12th, 2007 at 01:09 PM
OP Offline
I put down cucumber seeds on around May 25 and they sprouted up fairly quickly. Their little leaves were healthy and robust and doing just fine and then today I noticed they had all wilted and appear dead. I am in southeastern British Columbia and the soil they were planted in is new healthy topsoil with compost and manure mixed in.

Any thoughts anyone? I have read once that cucumber seedlings existing before mid-June often die.

Thanks. Josie.

5k Posts
5k Posts
Are they dry? They are very sensitive to water, at least mine are. Also, I'd suspect SVB--squash vine borer. A very evil little bug that, as a larvae, bores into the stem of the plant and kills it. Here is some more info on bugs and the troubles they cause of cucurbits.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
OP Offline
They are well watered, yet wilted to the point of no return. Too much water maybe? The next group of seedlings over are zucchini, which all appear perfectly fine. Hmmm. Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

Josie

5k Posts
5k Posts
I'm guessing SVB then. That is exactly what my pumpkins, squash, zukes, cukes, cantaloupe, and watermelon did last year. They got everything but slowly only 1 at a time. To help prevent them from killing the other plants, you could use an insecticide and also, bury part of the vines. The vines will root if buried and that way the plant will have more than 1 place to receive their nutrients from.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
hehehe judging from what she said, I think its not the borers. . Theyre just young sappling plants right? Plant some new ones. . its only halfway through june & cukes grow like crack-addicts anyhow!!

TIP: Do you soak your seeds overnight in a glass of water before sewing them? I learned that from here & found that i have higher success with germinated seeds!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I vote on the coldness we have at night. When the temp drops the poor litle seedlings can't take it. I lost 30 cucumber plants last year that way.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
30 cuke plants.. . . thats "enough to feed an army" LOL!!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol Danno, I make all my own preserves. They were the bush-type cucumbers for gherkin, sandwich and dill pickles.

Lemme ask you a question tamara, could u send a recipe for dill & bread/butter pickles? I made some dills last year with a recipe i found off here and they absolutely sucked :( The recipe called for cider vinegar. . i think thats half the reason why. I'll use white vinegar next time, but the pickles were soggy & not crisp.

email:walldiv1@sbcglobal.net

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'll post the recipe tonight for you, usually soggy pickles come from cucumbers that aren't freshly picked.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Danno fresh cucs are the best, but all you need to do is soak them in ice water for a few hours and you'll have crisp cucs. It may also be the recipe you used, some are on the soggy side and some are crisp.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Danno thanks for the info' on soaking the cucs before seeding. I tried a special seed that is supposed to do well for the greenhouse and only 2 seeds made it. They sprouted well then rot at the stem when they were a few inches tall. I figure too much water, but I'm not sure. why

I know cucs like it warm and our cold nights can be a killer. I just planted my garden ones yesterday and usually I put on a row cover, but because it's mid June already, I'm trying without it. So we'll see what will happen. why

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
sounds like damp off. Add 10% hydrogen peroxide to the water you soak them in.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Thanks tkhooper I never even thought of damp off. That's probably what it was. I'll be more careful next time.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by tamara
I'll post the recipe tonight for you, usually soggy pickles come from cucumbers that aren't freshly picked.

I bet thats why. . i had them sitting in the frig a while after i had picked them :( A few days in fact!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Danno, I posted the recipe into the recipe section here for you. Make sure you use white vinegar that says 5% on the jug.

OP Offline
thanks everyone for all of your responses...

my guess now is that they died because of a couple of really cold nights we had around that time.

the zucchinis right next to them continued to thrive, so that rules out SVB. I planted some more and am hoping these ones make it.

Thanks all.

some of mine died too but the leaves got yellow before the wilted and died.....

Also I have some mold on my dirt does anyone have any input on what I should do about that, I really didn't think it had been that rainy. I'm in Vermont. I also have planted a second crop of cukes hopefully they will come alone o.k.

Thanks for any help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image