Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67524 Jun 16th, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Issy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

I'm incredibly new to gardening (unless you count helping my mom transplant when I was a kid), and already feel like I have no clue what I'm doing, so I thought perhaps joining this forum and wandering around a bit could be helpful.

In hopes that perhaps someone reading my introduction could give me advice I thought I'd talk a bit about the property I'd like to make use of!

A month ago I moved into a new 2nd floor apartment here in Michigan with a wonderful deck that has flower boxes surrounding three of the perimeter walls of the deck -- half of it partly shaded (by a trellis), half of it full afternoon sun. So I thought maybe now would be a good time to start learning more about planting/gardening.

But, oh my, those flower boxes have given me grief. The dimensions of what I'm working with are: ~100ft long, 1.2 ft wide, and less than a foot deep. My landlord said it had been a few years since anyone had done any gardening. When I moved in, the entire thing was COVERED in some kind of moss. It had started growing in the folds of the plastic rim and in the crevises of the wood. I pulled (cut?) that all out, then tilled the soil. I ended up putting some of the moss bits at the very bottom of the boxes underneath the rest of the soil because otherwise I wasn't sure I had enough depth to plant. But anyway, I bought a few plants and a bunch of seeds & bulbs and since about mid-May, I've been planting.

Now here's my problem... I accidentally threw out some of my seed packets! I don't even entirely remember what I planted, but now I don't know how to tell the weeds from the seedlings!! I've been looking at pictures of common Michigan weeds along with pictures of what I *think* I bought, but I'm so confused!!

I know I planted alyssum and sweet pea, but I can't figure out what in my garden might be those. I also think I have an invasion of purslane (Portulaca oleracea), but I'm not certain. There's so many different things popping up I don't know what might be planted and what might be invading.

So, that's my background. I think I have a lot more reading to do to figure this out, so I might have to beg for the patience of those wiser than I am in the ways of the garden. I am happy to find this place, from what I've read so far it seems very helpful. Sorry this ended up longer than I planned!

Issy #67527 Jun 16th, 2007 at 04:08 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
once the true leaves emerge on the plant it will be possible to identify some. When they flower it will be possible to identify all of them. If you have a digital camera posting the pictures in the mystery room will help you get them identified quickly. If you don't have a camera you can still post a description there it isn't as good of an idea but it's been known to work.

[Linked Image]
#71215 Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:49 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
wavy hello
welcome to the fourm rose

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image