Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65927 Jun 14th, 2007 at 06:57 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I found the coolest book at the library. It was in with the cardmaking books, in the wrong spot. It's by Ann Benson and is called Beaded Crochet Designs. It is the neatest book about crocheting beads to make 'tubular crochet'--which can be formed into bracelets or necklaces. Basically, you thread a whole bunch of beads (smaller beads) onto thread (like top-stitching or really fine wire) and then you crochet, taking your next yarn over from the strand with the beads, picking up 1 bead with each yo. I think that's called a yo.... Been too long since I've used a pattern. Once you've completed one 'set' of the beaded pattern, you sc in the first stitch, making a loop. Repeat.

I'll scan some pics in (the book says it's okay as long as I'm not commercially producing them) so you can see what I mean. It's really neat!!

Has anyone tried this or seen/heard of it before? I've been looking for a hot summer day project and I think I may have found it!!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #65972 Jun 14th, 2007 at 08:01 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
[Linked Image]

This one has a design in the beadwork.
[Linked Image]

Really neat, IMHO

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #66153 Jun 14th, 2007 at 10:07 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
cool. I've heard of beaded cochet but that isnt what i think of. An YO to me means yarn over why
Cool. What are you going to make?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #66347 Jun 14th, 2007 at 11:38 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I think I'm going to start with a bracelet for one of the kids. It's done in a rainbow pattern. Only problem now is, I don't know what size my beads are. I'm thinking their 60 seed bead, because there is a 6/0 on the side of the container. I may just have to go buy some more, I don't think I'll even have enough! Plus the perle cotton and a #10 crochet hook. I always thought those were in letters. Guess not. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
#66529 Jun 14th, 2007 at 07:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
crochet hooks are letters for the yarn hooks and numbers for the thread hooks. it is also called filet crochet when you use the cotton or silk thread to make table cloths, bed spreads, doilies, and such. i do both, but my favorite so far is ribbon crochet, i make bun covers for the girl's hair. (or i did, when they needed them)

i could make one per football game but haven't made them in years. i'll have to find some pics. and some of those were beaded, but not like that. rather with just a few beads for accent.

#66532 Jun 14th, 2007 at 07:49 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I would love to see some pics of that, Jiffy. My eldest has hair just past her toosh and it looks adorable up in a bun. A wouldn't mind a recipe, either, if you happen to remember. notme Thanks for clearing up the hook sizes. I know I have one of those hooks somewhere, my grandmother gave me a hook and some of her leftover thread that was my ... great grandmothers because she doesn't do that anymore. I put it someplace "safe." It's safe, alright, I just knew where that spot was!

I'm not going to get started on this right away--it's more for those sweltering summer days when I know I can't go out and I'm just dying for a project, something to keep busy. I was reading over the recipe though, and it says, "extremely complex pattern, not for beginners." Why do they put that on there? Now I HAVE to do that one first, just to prove it wrong. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #66544 Jun 14th, 2007 at 08:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
i'll get a pattern to you soon, but it is my "homemade" one...

#69414 Jun 18th, 2007 at 01:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Those are very pretty! Can't wait to see what you do Sarah!

#69416 Jun 18th, 2007 at 01:25 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
If you get stuck you can always go to crochetville.org they're very helpful.

Wrennie #72164 Jun 21st, 2007 at 08:23 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I saw that site, Wrennie, from another thread, about the auction, I think. I will have to crochet my cat a little mouse, when the catnip in my garden finally decides to start growing. I think the pattern was from that site. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #72905 Jun 21st, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, i've been thinking about the pattern, 'cause i made it up as i went, and it goes something like this:

with a spool of 1/8" ribbon, thread on whatever kind of beads, in the desired quantity then, chain 6 or so, join to make a circle. chain 4, then dc into circle (when using ribbon, i go in the holes, rather than in the stitches), --- i put a bead in each chain at this point --- chain 2, then dc again, repeating until you get a flat circle. after you join the circle, chain 5, then dc, chain and dc again in each hole created by the chains with 3-4 chains between each set of dc-chain-dc. continue until you meet then end again. but, adjust your chains so the circle doesn't quite lay flat, you want the edges to almost curl. then, you will dc in each single chain hole, then chain, then dc-chain-dc in each large hole around. this will create "sides" to the bun holder. join and make a second round exactly the same size as the last round then finish off. this is the part that will be gathered with elastic. weave 1/4" elastic or elastic thread in and out of the dc's and pull to the desired tightness and tie off OR weave a long piece of complimentary ribbon through to pull like a drawstring and tie in a bow. viola! one bun holder. snap over a bun, pin in place, and go.

i couldn't find any pictures, but i bet i made 20 of these, both girls had events that their hair had to be in a bun, no matter how short their hair was!

#72906 Jun 21st, 2007 at 07:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
and remember, you can put the extra beads away when you are done, just slide them off the ribbon after you finish off and cut the ball.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image