Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I've been wanting to make a cactus garden for a really long time so while I was at the store yesterday I picked up some 2" starters and made my little garden. Trouble is I have no idea what kind of cactus these are and they are my first cactus so any help on how to care for them would be great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Looks great Cheryl! I don't have any cacti either so I can't help you out with the care but I wanted to tell you that they look great!

500 Posts
500 Posts
The bottom left is a Gymnocalycium friedrichii - the normal form of the ones they irradiate to vibrant red or yellow and graft onto something that still has roots. It may/may not clump, and will stay relatively small. The bottom right is some sort of Mammillaria, you can speciate when it flowers. It will probably clump and get wider than tall. Top left looks quite like my myrtillocactus geometrizans. Not exactly, but individuals vary. Anyway, it is a columnar type that will get relatively tall. Top center could be a Saguaro, could be something else, but almost certainly is another columnar cacti. Top right is too young to tell. Grow it on and see what happens. They are beautiful, happy, healthy looking plants that should do well together, in one pot or another as the years pass; good for you!

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Thanks so much! I watered the pot after transplanting. How often should I water in the summer?

500 Posts
500 Posts
Argh... That's the hardest question anyone can ask; how often to water. Water them when they are dry. When will they be dry? Well, that depends. Are they indoors, outdoors (best in sumer, some of those won't take frost), in part sun, full sun (best), what kind of soil, air humidity, is that pot glazed? No cactus ever died of dehydration if watered once a month (my winter water schedule). Most tollerate/like more in the summer. I water mine once a week to once every other week in summer, depending on humidity. It can get very humid here in the summer; on the other hand, I've got some tight in small pots. As a rule, if in doubt, don't.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Wow! Looks amazing...

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I'll have to take another pic of it. It's been decorated with some bigger rocks and some lizards climbing on them. Thanks to Joey, they're his rocks and lizards and it was his idea.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Wow that looks great, you're giving me some ideas. My daughter's into cactus plants wait till I show her this thread. She'll love it.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Cheryl that is a beautiful planting!!! I have been wanting to make me
a cactus garden too!! Very nice. Can't wait to see the next picture!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I completely forgot about this topic and that I was supposed to take an updated pic with the new decorations. Thanks for reminding me!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image