Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Like one of those that you can buy from Lowe's or WalMart.. but I have Nooo experience with ponds.. do you have any tips/hints/suggestions?

Are the preformed kits just as good as making your own with the black rubber liners?

I tried the preformed kit and never had any luck with it. I am sure it was me tho. We have solid clay here and about twice a month I would go outside and mine would be floating on top of the hole I had dug for it. Usually it was due to the fountain hose or decorative water feature being knocked over by a dog or a cat and filling up the hole. More than likely I didn't do something right.

Just make sure everything is level - I dug mine - didn't really check it with a level and then had to look at a lop sided pond - well - till it started floating anyways.

My grandma has a preformed one and her's is gorgeous.

The good thing about the liners is that you can have any shape you want and I think they are cheaper depending on the size. I am no where near knowing what is going on tho so I may just be full of it :)

By the way - I am in SE Ohio too! Where are you from?

2k Posts
2k Posts
They are trickier to set& I've had snakes live under mine(a blue ribboned striped snake..non poisonus.I called him slick.He ate frogs/tads...I've actually had mne moved in yard 3 times and am finally happy with it.I leveled it.THEN filled it.THEN filled dirt back in around it.I've added some 3-4 times in the last year& it seems fine now.

I kinda prefer the liners& guess the pre formed are easier to clean.dump...scrub... rinse... fill.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
my next pond i will try my hand at a liner. my first 3 are all pre-formed from lowes. i have a 50 gal., a 125 gal., and a 165 gal. i learned while i went and had my mom's help on the second one.

the ones with plant shelves ARE hard to level, BUT, a few things to know and it makes it easier.

put sand underneath the pond in the bottom of the hole, it makes it easy to level.
lay a scrap piece of carpet next, to keep rocks from poking through.
place pond and use a 2x4 and a level, lay it across the top and CONSTANTLY check every direction as you go.
add water slowly while backfilling around the pond.---don't add water QUICKER than you can backfill---still checking level on all sides.
PACK THE DIRT AS YOU GO FIRMLY----if you don't---the first hard rain and everything will settle and sink. you will have tunnels all around the sides! THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING AND I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!

it sounds hard but it's really not. just check the level and pack the dirt and you will be fine.

if you decide to use a liner, i would like to hear how you liked it!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i think the weight of the water would push out to much on the sides, it would'nt be stable.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
mine is a preform liner type, and the largest part is half out/half in the dirt, and then the two top tiers are all the way out. it does better if it is in something... at least for the bottom, and the top half is piled up with rocks.

2k Posts
2k Posts
my pre formed is 100 gallons& it was above ground last year and got sunk in the fall.I don't recall it bulgeing,but it did sink about 2-3 inches on its own over the summer.I packed the soil with sledge hammer.we have one on a shorter handle& it fit just right for packing.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. lots of information.. thank you all. It really DOES sound complicated and a bit intimidating I must admit. I figured the ones with different depths, with plant shelves, would be harder to install, but that seems to be about the only ones I can find.. of the preformed ones.

I have a friend who has one on top of the ground, built up with rocks Triss and it seems to work fine for her.. hers is really small though, I have no idea how many gallons.. maybe 35-50.. not sure.

The ground where I am wanting to do this isn't level either.. so I am probably at a disadvantage right off the bat aren't I?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
maybe - maybe not. if the ground isn't level, and you get one with the shelves, you could level out part of it, then cut into the soil to fit the shelves. that doesn't sound very clear, but i hope you get my drift. then, pile up the other side with rocks. it depends on the slope of the land though.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Yes I did actually understand what you meant.. and thinking about it THAT way kind of makes it sound easier.. so maybe the unlevel ground will work to my advantage. grin I hope so. So where is a good place to find preformed ponds? Just Lowes? WalMart used to carry them, but I haven't seen them at ours yet.. unless they just don't have them in yet.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd check lowe's, walmart, home depot, where ever they have pond stuff! we have them here nearly everywehre.

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
the ones at lowe's is what my mom and i have always used.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I have another WalMart I can check, besides our local one.. and I can check Lowes.. but we don't have a Home Depot. It just sounds complicated.. all the pumps/filters etc.. I am getting intimidated. lol

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
nah, not hard. it really just takes a minute to get set up, but once set up, you are good to go!

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
yes, listen to jiffy, it is really not that hard and the results are well worth it. if you can get the basics down, you learn the rest as you go. i'm still learning!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, I know it has been a while since I have posted.. but we have been busy!! Guess what I got?? *grins* My POND!! And it is so cute... I just love it.. as do the area frogs, but that is another story.. :P

We decided to go with a design of our own instead of buying the premolded pond form.. I need to get some pics of it.. it still has a ways to go.. But I will show you what we have so far..

Also, I am going to need a bit of water help I think.. it doesn't look clear and pretty like I think it should... but we haven't added anything to it.. as far as any chemicals yet.. so.. I will run out and get some pics so you guys can give me some feedback!!!

Here is a shot of the whole thing.. below is the close up of the waterfall. These aren't current pictures, I have some stuff planted around it already and more flowers sitting in pots here and there to give me an idea of what it will look like when I get them in the ground.. and I still need mulch.. lots of mulch. I hope these pictures turn out right.. I don't think I have ever posted pics here before.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 9th, 2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: To add pictures.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup i really like it! makes me in a hurry to get mine going again!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Pinkhorseof course,

That will work for you for awhile ,not using a premolded pond....
But here is the bad news.......Eventually it will leak.. It is very heavy, couple of my family have it .....Forms cost more . But winter will take its toll eventually..
Dont know how long .. Just pondering for you.

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. well that was kind of what I had asked earlier in this thread.. and there were responses for both ways of doing it.. the preformed pond and just the flat plastic that you lay yourself.. So why is this probably not going to hold up?? I am sure it won't last forever.. but the guy at the nursery said this stuff was the best thing to use.. *shrug*

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush

Lets look at it this way.....The black liner is cheaper, you have it put in , so go ahead and experience it .
What are the on top of the ground swim pools made Of? DO they leak ?

The weather you have is zone 5???????
Winter snow and ice breaks down lots of stuff......YOu wont be able to leave water in them over winter.......

i will have to run that question elsewhere and let you know.. Everyone I know has the mold.
DOnt worry, you can always add it later if needed.. It wont happen over nite.

;o)
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nervous

I just thought of something>>>>>>
Your in Ohio, zone 5?
How will you drain the pool in the winter, without a liner?
Just wondering?
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.K. I'm confused. She is using a liner and it looks doubled. That stuff is so thick and durable. I think it would be better than a preformed pond in cold weather.

Just my opinion but I would go with the same idea if I ever get one built. I'm in zone 4 with extreme brutal winters and they sell that liner here for ponds.(someday~it will be a reality lol )

If she needs to drain it, she can use a sump pump. Here you can borrow them from the fire station.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
sORRY ,Just trying to help...
Some lady just told me hers has 3 liners to it ......No mold and one of the liners is leaking......She bought the place and the owner had the pond drained.
Each time she fills it, it leaks to the hole.....
She got adhesive of some type and said it still leaks????????

I know nothing , I am just asking around to see if it is possible .
I am waiting for a reply from a lady who said it is her profession ......Can't say she will tell it honestly.......( Why ruin a good profession?
My sister didnt always drain in the winter, but she had a kidney mold.. I know not.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
No no Dodge, don't be sorry.. I appreciate the input. Seriously.. but I think we will be ok.. I could be wrong.. only time will tell. I bought the black liner at a nursery here that specializes in water gardens and they had all different kinds of ways to do it.. but the guy there said that this is actually the best thing to use, that the preformed molds get stiff and brittle in the cold leading to cracks/ breaks and leaks.. and that this won't do that. And as for the winter time, we are not planning on draining it, we are going to buy an inline heater to heat the water so it won't freeze.. He did say that that is where alot of problems occur.. is the freezing and thawing process.. but with the heater, we are going to be eliminating that altogether...

And yes Tamara, our liner is actually doubled.. Good eye! LOL We asked the guy if we should double it and he said we absolutely wouldn't need to.. but me being a bit on the paranoid side decided to anyways. Besides we had enough to do it that way, so why not.. right?

Love your pond! It looks like it is going to be so beautiful when it is complete!

I told hubby that our next pond would be with a liner instead of the preform. Not sure that he liked that too much lol, but once he gets busy on it and gets it finished he will I'm sure.

~Karen~

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Hummingbird! I can't wait til stuff starts growing and I get my mulch.. That is going to make such a difference. Actually I am not sure that the liners are any more work than the preforms.. probably the opposite.. cause with the liner you can dig where ever and make it whatever shape and however deep that you want it to be.. but with the preforms, you have to make your hole match your pond.. so yeah.. lol

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Love the pond! thumbup I live in zone 6 and my pond(liner) froze solid tons of times last winter---never drained it or anything...actually the fish overwinter in there.

I think doubled up like that you'll be more than okay for quite a lot of years to come. Do you know how many mils thick the liner you have is?

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Loz!!! I really like it too! I just love sitting out by the little waterfall.. it is sooo relaxing.. now to get my plants growing and my mulch in.. and I need to work on the water clarity/condition.. Can you help me with that?? And as for the liner, if yours has frozen several times then mine should be fine!!! Yay!! I was kind of worried after reading Dodge's posts.. even though the guy at the nursery said we would be fine.. he he.. my paranoia kicking in again. :P

And I did know how thick the liner was.. but I forget now.. lol I will ask hubby tomorrow.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you don't have a deicer this winter I heard that you should float a ball or two in the pond so it doesn't freeze solid....I fogot last year.... lol

I love sitting by my pond too, just put the bench together and got it out there a few days ago. The fish know me well, they go into feeding frenzy when they see me sitting there. lol

As far as water quality. The more shade you have the better. See mine's in full sun most of the day....Sun makes algae grow on the liner....turning it green looking. My water is clear, it's just the liner is looking gross. You need to find floating water plants....water hyacinth is great! Not only does it give shade to your pond, but some places use it in their sewers because it has awesome filtration properties.

I bought anti algae tablets and threw one in this spring and it didn't help at ALL! Is yours in a mostly sunny spot? BTW, if you go check out my pond topic, last page you'll see mine....it's a work in progress.....We've mulched all around it now, under the bench today....Mulch really makes it nicer. I have a ton more plants to add to it too!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you so much for all your insight... please take a look at my new thread regarding my water.

We will definitely be buying either a in line heater for the pond, or will use one of our horse trough deicers.. lol No problem there.

I have NO shade at all.. full sun all day long. Though the smaller pond portion will be shaded later in the season as my Hibiscus grows.. it gets HUGE and is right up at the top of the pond by the waterfall..

Maybe I should go with water Hyacinth and water lettuce instead of water lilies?? What do you think??

I think I saw one of your posts with your pond .. it looks great!! I wish I would have left more room behind mine, between the pond and the deck, so I could plant more stuff.. I am planning on planting, but it is just gonna be kind of difficult to get to.. I told hubby he will have to get IN the pond to dig the holes for my plants or he will just end up IN it anyways.. (by way of falling in) LOL

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nono

Sorry I alarmed you..

NOw someone told me they had one just liner that lasted 5 years, then a mouse chewed a hole in it..
Her friend had an expensive one and it sprung a leak sooner....

Look at it this way, you should get your money's worth out of it ..And by then you might want a large one.......

I never did it .We have 3 Large ponds for the cattle to drink.. We dont use liners.......
However HD said sand under the liner will keep rocks from punturing it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
No worries Dodge!!! kissie I suppose only time will tell how it will work out for us!! This is a new venture for us! Hopefully the guy at the garden center knew what he was talking about and didn't steer us wrong. For now, our pond is wonderful, minus just a few finishing touches.. I really do appreciate your input!! thumbup

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
lol

Sister had her rim lined with blocks ======

OOOOOo,,.....The one side was flat, and oppisite site was round.. Slanted sides
ANd it was so cute.......Everyone was donating her pond some ceramic frogs.. SHe has one yet, about foot long Mermaid lying on the rock.. ANd she put a pipe in the middle with a pump to make a water fall.Self constructed.. I really liked it ................But I are too lazy for that......I think she had tiny crabs in with the fish......She can tell fish and pond stories all day long.

Good Luck......... I like the lily pods they put in too.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image