Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
flwr

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I woke up this morning around 7 AM and went out and put out some cucumber plants my husband picked up yesterday. I also went ahead and threw out some seeds I had saved from last year. We haven't had any rain in 2 months so nothing is growing outside. I decided to put all my seeds out and see if they come up if it ever does rain. After thinking about that I realize it wasn't a good plan because if they don't come up I won't have anything to plant next year. Oh well. Then I came in and ate way too much.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Don't worry about being out of seeds. I have loads that I'll never get to plant. My trade list is up on the seed and cutting exchange and I have more than that in my private stash. I haven't updated that list in awhile but I'll get around to it and let you know what's there too.

seed are never a problem lol.

BTW have you ever thought about doing a Cystern? Or putting 55 gal drums at the bottom of your drain spouts and using that during the summer? It would at least let you keep a couple of beds of drought tolerant plants going through the summer.

For me I went out to water and it was sprinkling. So I put the water I had brought on those plants that like a lot of water and came back inside. I think it immediately stopped sprinkling. I should probably get out there and water.

Last edited by tkhooper; Jun 10th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Hi TK. I have thought about that just haven't done it. It's a great idea. I've seen how to make my own on TV with covers and hoses and everything. Hopefully we'll get that done. That is if it ever rains again.

I put out the green pepper seeds you sent me. They haven't come up yet but I've been watering them so hopefully.

Did you ever get moved?

1k Posts
1k Posts
I weeded my Peanuts today.

[Linked Image]

Look at the preatty little yellow flowers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
very clean.

1k Posts
1k Posts
It is now, Before I couldn't even see them. lol

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Cool.

Today I planted more annuals(dianthus and patunias) after going to the greenhouse again. Spare change doesn't gather here for long lol

Going to dig a new veggie plot tonight for some tomatoes and green peppers. Gathered some aged manure for that as well.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
They take forever to come up for me. If you can get the temperature up around 80 to 90 degrees they will come up much quicker. But you know the only time it gets that hot inside my place is when the a/c is broken lol.

If I had a place of my own I would definitely be doing the rain barrel thing. Water has become way to expensive. As well as scarce during the summer.

I haven't moved yet. I have no idea when it will happen.

Tamara I love your energy. Keep up the good work.

I didn't even got back outside today.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I didn't dig up the new plot last night, I am so sunburned. Ouch.

Strange, I never think about people paying for water. How does that work anyway?

Here we have a well and I have a brook across the road and a river just a couple of acres over. Wish I could send some to y'all. The greenhouse across the road has a sumppump in the river and they pump the water right to their backyard holding tanks.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's like any other utility they have a meter and charge per unit. My landlord pays the water but I try to be sparing of it because I don't want my rent increased to pay for a large utility bill.

I did water today and I was amazed by the improvement in the peppers. They look so much better today and they have started a bunch of new leaves. The fixed copper spray really seems to turn the tides. Now I just have to find a cheaper way to buy it.

Wish me luck.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wishing you luck.

I never knew how the 'pay for water' thing went, thanks for explaining.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I found a slightly cheaper place for the copper soap. It's called Avant-guard Organics. The soap is 4 times as much as the other place at half the cost for the produce. Of course there shipping is more so I ended up only saving 5 dollars but that's a lot on my budget.

I also counted how many "sweet william" tomatoes I have and the count is 14. I think that is pretty cool.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
i've seen Wilson brand copper powder mix at the local hardware stores. Can't remember the price though.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
We don't even have a local hardware store unless you count home depot or lowes. I'll have to call the local nursery and see if they have some. Although they are not cheap either until I factor in the taxi ride.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I call it local but it is 45 minutes away as well. I make a once a month trip into town for supplies. Hoping to get there this week.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
This close to dc everything is 45 minutes away lol. The area is building up and there are times when you could get out and walk and get to a place faster.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I watered the garden and then I turned the compost and then I watered the compost. Something I can hardly ever do because of the heat and my lack of energy. But I was able to do it today.

Today was my day for garden visitors. Not only did I have the baby sparrow around today [story in bird sanctuary]. But the guy that is building the house was out walking in my garden too. He came back and apologized after he had dealt with whatever emergency he was having but he liked to have given me a heart attack because it was right by the peonies.

Anyway hopefully he won't do that again.

Where I pulled the compost away from the ground I think I want to dig up that area and use the dirt from there for my burm. That is once I finish weeding that area. And I need to get at it. All the weeds are coming back from the first weeding. I need to get to them before they have a chance to flower and set seed.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I dug a new garden area for my tomatoes and peppers, I hate cutting and removing sod. I want a tiller so bad.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Penny it was a pretty good day. It looks like it's going to storm soon so maybe tomorrow the burm will be nice and wet and the weeds will be easy to pull. that would be nice.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I weeded the Blackeyes peas today. I have most of it weeded now. Just a few rows to go. It have been wet enough here, and I have enough organic matter in the ground the weeds come out easy. Also I use a stirrup hoe and it works good with softer soil.

I have been doing my best to keep the weeds under control this year. last year weeds was my best crop!!

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
lol @ Amigatec That was a good one.

Believe it or not. I'm tempted not to believe it. The berm is weeded and the soil is added. I don't have to water because mother nature did it for me. And inspite of what I thought last night when the wind was blowing fit to break a tree all of the plants including those poor peppers survived.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We had very strong winds as well. I don't have my green peppers or tomatoes planted yet(hardening off at the moment) but my uncle had his plants snapped by the wind.

I never put my veggie plants in the ground before the 15th.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I went out and took my succulent ground cover and put it on the berm. Hopefully it will root it's little heart out and then I can start several different plants from it. I'm thinking about trying to start some sweet potato squash. What do you think is it too late?

And what else can I put on the berm. I know almost anything lol. I love having space to play with.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Or start your squash inside they really start quite easy.

We've had high winds here too. I just planted my veggies out yesterday, that wind would have tossed them around something awful. My poor sunflowers look just terrible. But they'll survive, they did last year. But what a sight. Wish I could get some pictures in for you to see but I'm not sure what happened my computer won't read the file.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Sorry to hear that about your pictures. That's rough.

I think I will start the squash outside today. I'd like to see it. I've never seen sweet potato squash.

I think I'm going to try for some for-get-me-nots too.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I mowed and weed wacked the whole yard again today (I hate my ditch). It takes me 4 hours to do my whole lawn. The air was so crisp and cool today though, had to wear heavy gym clothes and I was still cold.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's one big yard. It's cool here today too because of the storm last night. And I'm so glad everything got a good watering.

Today rather than watering I took the grass that my landlord brought me and spread it out over the garden. I know I won't be getting these rains forever so the grass is going to help me retain what water I put on the garden this summer.

I also got out there and planted the sweet potatoe squash.

So far I think I'll put the for-get-me-nots (puple and blue) with Lambs ear between on the berm. That's as far as I've gotten so far in deciding what I want.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm so glad I don't have a lawn. There is no way I could handle a weed wacker or a lawn mower.

I did plant the forget-me-nots and found out that the lambs ear has to be stratified if I want to try and plant it now. Anyone have any idea how long it needs to be stratified? I guess I need to start a topic for that question. Never mind I'll open one over in plants and flowers.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
i watched my son mow the lawn today ideadose that classify as working? lolsupervised the lawn beeing cut thumbup

i love the smell of fresh cut grass, its one of those smells that says summer is here!

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hey guess what I've got all my garden in. clap Boy does that ever feel good. thumbup

We've had so much rain in the last little while and with our clay type of soil there's not too much you can do but wait till it dries up and that can take forever. But it's in. clap

Did my cucumbers and beans last night, and I'm going to chance it with no row cover this year. It's late enough, so I'm hoping there will be no frost anymore. idea

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
sibyl......you bet that classifies as working, have to make sure it gets done. lol

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
I was at football camp all morning with my 9-year-old son, then stopped at a nursery on our way home and picked up more plants for our butterfly garden we are working on. Got some Aster, Ummmmm, oh - I can't remember now, I'll have to take some pictures and look at the tags, there were lots of them, about $130 worth!

I also finally put solar lights in my garden/yard, 12 of them. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty!!! I just went out and looked to see if I liked where they were placed and it looks just great! Kind of the icing on the cake!

PattyM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
What i did in the garden today---

Nothing physical---but i did look longingly at it--it needs weeding I am sure---and most likley my maters need "some" tying up--and then there is the watering (husband did it with a [u]high pressure nozzle 3[/u] days ago)!!! :mad:

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
What i did in the garden today---

Nothing physical---but i did look longingly at it--it needs weeding I am sure---and most likley my maters need "some" tying up--and then there is the watering (husband did it with a high pressure nozzle 3 days ago)!!! :mad: boohoo he had the nerve to tell me my pots on the front porch had too much dirt in them ---(I am sure they do not now)

Last edited by JunieGirl; Jun 14th, 2007 at 08:40 PM.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I feel your pain. All the loving care we lavish on them and they don't get the hint that the plants are special. Hubby's what can you do with them?

I'm getting ready to head out and see what condition the plants are in. I haven't been out there yet.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I planted tomatoe and pepper plants late last night and cleaned up the mess in one of my flower beds.

DH's cousin was here last night, drunk as could be on an ATV and backed into my flower bed at the end of the road, breaking a few plants. Just wait til he sobers up today because he will be facing me in a few hours when I go to give him "what for". I can guarantee it's not going to be a nice fight. :mad:

5k Posts
5k Posts
shock :mad:dont blame ya there tamara, id be mad too,

i walked around early this morn, took some seeds off this perennial i have,, now i gotta find the name for it, got it writtin down somewere rolz
clapgot seeds on my white bleeding hearts, just one lil seed pod.
in a few im going back out to plant some more seedlings,

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
They are all perennials so they will make a comeback, just maddening though.

5k Posts
5k Posts
thats one of the many good things about perennials :} they always come back:}

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image