Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#62688 Jun 10th, 2007 at 04:48 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone out there have a recipe for an organic or natural fungicide?
I am having problems this year with blackspot on my roses AND powdery mildew on my Serviceberry.
There are also lots of wild birds and animals that come to visit so I don't want to spray anything that might hurt the little guys.

Thanks

booklady #62704 Jun 10th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
i know that you can use a milk concoction, but i'm not sure what it is... why

#63188 Jun 11th, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Booklady - I have just seen a couple of commercial organic products in my garden centre here in the suburbs of London, but I dont know how widely available they are for you. Anyway, the first is called 'Bio Bizz Leaf Coat' and is made of natural latex - this is supposed to strengthen plants against harmful leaf fungus and mould spores.

The second, which is probably much more helpful to you (if you can get it), as it is specifically for controlling fungal diseases like powdery mildew and black spot on roses, is called 'Vitax Organic 2 in 1 Spray'. It also kills most of the common bugs, mites and fires that love snacking on your tender rose shoots. This one is a spray-on, made of a blend of natural plant and fish oils.

Iv'e never used either of the above myself so I cant vouch for their effectiveness, but the chap beind the counter seems to think they do work. I did buy the Vitax stuff though, just to see for myself, as my roses are also showing signs of blackspot (it cost me £4, which is around $7 i think).

starfish #63212 Jun 11th, 2007 at 11:19 AM
As this is a subject that interests me, I've just been looking around the web, and here are a couple of other ideas, from a couple of Australian websites:

This Australian organic gardener has various ideas based on using milk, coffee, bicarbonate of soda, vegetable oils, detergent and white vinegar:

www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1484689.htm

If they dont work, at least you can stick the rest of the ingredients back in the pantry!

Even simpler, I've also just seen the following:

'If you need a good safe organic fungicide simply mix 2 tablespoons of Baking Soda per gallon of water, spray the plants liberally. This puts an alkaline coating on the plants which doesn't allow the fungus to grow and is completely safe for both plants and animals'.

Last edited by starfish; Jun 11th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
starfish #63603 Jun 11th, 2007 at 08:51 PM
Hello; Try going to www.jerrybaker.com for any solutions
that could rise up with garden, yard, indoor plants and
just about anything.

He uses all these different tonics which I've found
work on a lot of problems

Donnie

Last edited by swampfox; Jun 11th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Sometimes I wake up grouchy,other days I just let her sleep,while I'am outside in the garden she is
counting sheep. (%$#@%*#&@) sorry honey,I didn't
say that...honey put down that hoe... :(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image