Print Thread
Rate Thread
#62805 Jun 10th, 2007 at 10:15 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I just started a very small rock garden this evening when I was outside working in the yard. The rocks are low and flat, some of it is shale type pieces.. I left small spaces between the rocks, but for it to look nice all the time, I am going to have to put some type of very LOW to the ground cover.. something that will grow easily and is hardy. Otherwise I am going to have to move the rocks each time we mow and then put them back.

So what would be a good choice? I would LOVE something that blooms, but it wouldn't HAVE to. I don't think I want Phlox, it would be too tall. I have something growing wild down by our cherry tree.. I have some rocks there also and something has started growing there the past two or three years.. not sure if it is there this year, it probably is, but I haven't looked.. I will try to get some pics so maybe someone can help identify it.. and if I don't get much feedback here, maybe I will try to transplant some of it.... Thanks for all your help!!!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Creeping phlox and rock soapwort are very pretty and colourful. I also have yellow and dragonsblood sedum. I also have a flowering moss, I'll have to check the name.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have a ground hugging drought tolerant ground cover that blooms in spring with a pretty yellow flower that covers the plant for several weeks. The rest of the time in is a bright green color. It will recover from being walked on occasionally.

I could probably send you some after I get paid. I'm broke right now. I get paid on the 3rd of the month. Let me know if you are interested.

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Tamara, how tall are those plants that you have? I only ask because I would LIKE for some of the rocks to show thru if possible.

tkhooper, Yours sounds good if it is indeed very low to the ground. I would be interested in maybe getting some if it wouldn't be too much trouble.. can you post some pictures?

And I did some research on the stuff I have.. it is Ground Ivy.. but I checked down by our Cherry tree, and it doesn't seem to be as abundant as it has in the past.. not sure why. Now I have another plant of some type growing there.. it is kind of 'ferny' looking.. it is pretty... but is kind of tall.

5k Posts
5k Posts
I have some dragonsblood sedum (or something like it) and it grows only a few inches up, then falls on it's side. It starts out green and then the edges look like fresh red nailpolish, then slowly the whole thing turns a deep red. Mine fall between the rocks and just the edges push up from between the cracks. I like it anyway. Creeping Jenny might be a good idea, also. Hugs the ground, kinda a lime green with round leaves. Needs part-shade though.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh that dragonsblood sedum sounds gorgeous!! flwr Do you have any pictures?? Or I suppose I can just do a search and see if I can find it somewhere.. I have looked at the creeping Jenny, saw it when I was looking for water plants, I found some awesome ones on Ebay.. much more than just water lilies... but I digress, notme LOL

Does that sedum do good job at pushing out the grass and other stuff that might want to grow there??

500 Posts
500 Posts
I have blue star creeper in my garden. it is VERY hardy and blooms small star shaped light blue flowers. it is one of those "steppables" brand plants,but I found mine at rite aid or Fred Meyer...I forget exactly where.

It is strong enough to be stepped on now and then without dying. I really like mine.............................................................................. shots

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you Mrs. Bradley, I will have to search that one too!! It doesn't have to be so resilient that it can be walked on as it is out of the way by our lamp post and a shepherds hook.. but it does sound pretty!! *goes to google it*

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well last night, I pulled up a bunch of that Ground Ivy and it planted it all around my little rock garden.. stood back and didn't like it.. LOL So I pulled it all out again and threw it in the driveway. why I just didn't like it.. I don't want something viney I have decided.. I just want a low grower.. I have a really nice family run greenhouse not far from here, I am going to go see what they have and what they might suggest.. maybe I will do that today!! clap I will let you all know what I come home with.. thumbup

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you don't want mine then it is viney. Maybe I'll be able to help you with something else.

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Yeah, the main reason I decided against something viney is because I would like for my rocks to be able to show thru. Viney would just travel everywhere.. I went to the greenhouse, but didn't really come up with anything.. she suggested several different things, but so many of them get pretty tall. I am thinking of doing something a little differently now.. LOL :wink: Imagine that!! I think I am going to put plastic down, cover with mulch, and plant portulaca all around the area.. even though it is kind of viney looking, I LOVE that plant. It is so beautiful and I think it would look really neat as a ground cover.. if I can get it to work. I will keep you all posted.

And of course I didn't come home empty handed!! ;) I bought a Perennial for my perennial garden.. it is sooo pretty.. I have never seen anything like it before.. and I don't know what it is cause she used the scientific name for it when I asked her what it was.. but it reminds me of strawberry plants.. in a way. The leaves are similarly shaped I think.. it has little red/pink flowers on it and it grows LONG. It kind of lays in the bed and intermingles with the other plants.. she had it in one of the bed there and it was gorgeous.. I will get mine in and update my picture of my perennial garden.. I am excited to see it grow and bloom!! So pretty!!! flwr

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
how about some kind of moss?? they can handle some foot traffic and will fill in the areas between the stones fairly quickly.

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. that is a good idea.. I will do some searching.. Thanks Joclyn!!!

Ice Plant would be PERFECT for you! It blooms all summer with little daisy-like blooms, is very low growing, and has succulent leaves! John Proffit is a great variety of it, but there are more to choose from too!

P.S. Here's a picture I took of my neighbors before I knew what it was. I actually originally took this picture to get it ID'd lol

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My sedums only get an inch high or so, soap wort and phlox about two inches or so. The latter will spread wide though. I can't find out what kind of moss I have but in the spring it produces red flowers.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
What about Creeping Jenny? It's very hardy, very low to the ground, and has pretty yellow blossoms around mid-summer. I planted some around my pavers last summer, and though it's a little viney, it can be rerouted easily so that it takes hold between the pavers.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you gardenkitten.. that is very pretty!!! I LIKE it. I wonder if I will be able to find it around here though, or if I will have to order it. How well does it spread?? Does it choke out grass and weeds?

I thought about putting down plastic, digging several holes for whatever I decide to plant, and cover very heavily with mulch.. that way, the original plant will be in the ground, but as it spreads, it might root into the mulch and move along better.. Do you guys think that might work ok??

Sedum and Creeping Jenny were a couple that were mentioned, I am not familiar with either one of them.. I definitely want a low grower.. something neat and compact.. which is why I don't think I want phlox.. it isn't THAT big, but bigger than what I want.. I have seen phlox at my neighbors greenhouse that is a good 3 inches tall... and that was still in the pots.. don't know if it would do better once it was planted out in the yard/garden or not..

Thank you Tamara and ShadyLady for your ideas!!! kissie

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by joclyn
how about some kind of moss?? they can handle some foot traffic and will fill in the areas between the stones fairly quickly.

I agree with Mrs. Bradley; the "stepables" are a nice variety of ground cover and there are several different varieties, so you could choose one that suited you and would not overrun or dominate your rocks.
I have "scotch moss" and contrairy to what it says I have it on the west side of my house & it is doing well---but i keep it well watered.
good luck!!

www.STEPABLES.com

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for the luck JunieGirl!! flwr I am still undecided.. I didn't really have time to research the mosses yet.. My daughter and I did dig up a bunch of holes, getting ready for whatever I decide to put there.. I just want to buy it, bring it home and get it in the ground!! It is going to look nice I think.. and if all else fails, if I can't really decide on a perennial, I will add the Portulaca to the area and be done.. I am sure I would be satisfied with that also.. it is so pretty.. thumbup

You're very welcome! It spreads VERY well for my neighbor, she just planted a small one last year and it has already spread out very wide like in that picture. I'm going to be getting some as soon as I can find it, too!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well I went to a new garden center today and asked for the Ice Plant and they were out of it.. sooo.. I haven't fully decided yet what I am going to do.. I bought a couple things to put there, but I don't remember what they are called.. I might just a little bit of variety.. Will keep ya posted..

Hi again! I just found it on Ebay, if you're still interested! John Proffit is also called "Table Mountain", which is what she has it listed as. She does mention in the description that it is also known as John Proffit. Here is the link~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290103200027&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

P.S. I just noticed that they also have some other auctions for it starting at only .99, looks like they're listing low since it's getting later in the season!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iceplant-Table-...79QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43548QQcmdZViewItem

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks alot!! I am going to check that out.. it might be over already.. since I didn't check it as soon as you posted it!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image