Print Thread
Rate Thread
#62352 Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:33 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I need some serious help here.. from some one who knows about water gardening.. prayers

I searched Ebay, and there are zillions.. I have a smaller pond, so I don't want something that is going to spread huge.. and I like pink. So.. any suggestions?

Thank you!!! flwr

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
my first was a walmart special and it was great for my half-barrel pond. did you see the pics of my pond? there is a good one in the critter corner that has my cat on the edge of the pond so you can make a comparison.

#62486 Jun 10th, 2007 at 08:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you look in my pond post I have a walmart lily too....Only five something. You can just see the lily pads up at the surface......It's an attraction lily.

Some of those websites want CRAZY money for a lily.

#62577 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:06 PM
I also purchased 3 water lilies from Walmart. I have had them for three years now & they haven't bloomed. I put them in a 5 gallon pail filled with water & they winter over in the basement sunroom nicely. They have never bloomed for me though. I got some fertilizer pellets from a local nursery & hope I can get them to bloom this summer. They are now outdoors in a large plastic barrel type container.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hmmmm, I wonder if they need more sun or a bigger container??? why

I sure hope mine bloom this year!!!! The lily pads are pretty cool though, just by themselves.

#62605 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:31 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you for your replies.. no Jiffy, I don' think I saw your pond.. but I did see yours Loz.. and your cute little water lily!!! I have a Doctors Foster and Smith Catalog that I was looking at last night and the size of the different ones seem to vary so much.. I just don't want one that is going to take over the whole top of my pond.. And I don't know how to get rid of some of the lily pads and/or flowers if it does get too big.. will that kill the plant to remove some of it? I saw one in there that said it only has a 2-3 foot spread.. that would be ideal.. but it was also $24.00... a bit on the pricey side. I guess I might just try my luck with one from walmart and see how it goes.. worse case scenario I am only out $5 or $6.. right?

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well poo, I just read Bonny's post about the WalMart lily not blooming for several years.. :( So now I am not sure what to do.. maybe spending a little extra on a plant that is guaranteed might be a better way to go.. I dunno..

Oh, and I had another question, it isn't too late to start a water lily is it??

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 10th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
that isn't something i can speak to for your area. we only have about a month of "winter" so i don't know... why

#62742 Jun 10th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, well I don't suppose it will hurt to try.. they might not get AS big.. but they should grow some at least.

#62743 Jun 10th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
My nursery said this is a fine time, especially since we've had such an odd spring. I just plopped mine in a few days ago (thursday, I think). The leaves have already unfurled and are beginning to reach upwards. And I'd bet that you and I are in similar zones (5/6 ish). I got two at WM for 4.50 -- they are being clearanced out.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wonderful! Thanks Sarah!! Um, do I have to start them in a tub of water?? Like I saw a couple other people do? Or can I start them directly in the pond? And I don't have plant shelves in mine.. so I am not sure how I will do that.. will they do ok in a 2 1/2 - 3 foot depth??

5k Posts
5k Posts
My plant box said to put in a sunny location in water with a depth of 24-60 inches. So I'd say you don't need a shelf, as long as your pond isn't over 5 feet deep! The WM ones I have are like a plant in peat moss that is stuck into the coconut shaped, coconut liner (like for hanging planters) and has a mesh around it. I used string that came with it (to attach a fake lily-pad so you can find the bulbs later) and used the string to pull up some mesh over the plant, just a wee-bit, that way the plant didn't start floating away on me. After I did that I just tossed them in where I wanted them at and they're doing great! The one that is 3 ft down seems to be doing the best.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. so you didn't put yours in a pot or anything?? Wow, that sounds great.. and EASY!! My kind of gardening! LOL And the fact that you have one in the 3 foot depth and it is doing well makes me feel better. :) Thank you so much!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image