Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56124 Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:11 PM
Av8trx Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I planted some catmint in full sun and in a raised bed but the leaves are drying up and looking bad. I thought catmint was good with low water? or should I water more since it's new to my bed? I am afraid of over watering (performing a proper burial for the 10 lavender plants that didn't make it in the same spot). Thoughts?

boohoo

Thanks! Katie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
Av8trx #57513 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:21 PM
It's hard to say. Youngster plants do need more water and so if you haven't watered much at all then you should. But if the ground is moist and you have been watering, then stop. They do like dry but are so tolerant. I have a volunteer one in a tray to give away and it has been raining on it a lot and it still looks fine. The ones in the garden can handle dry very well. It is one of my favorite perennials.

2k Posts
2k Posts
I grow catnip.When we get real hot,I DO have to water it more.its leaves will go limp durring the day,but when evening comes will perk back up.we've been hot the last 3 days (triple digit heat index with temps in upper 90s)The plant growing in more shaded area does fine& the plant my cat plays in its roots are shaded.(kinda mixed in with cannas)maybe try mulching the plant some it will help hold in the moisture longer.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #68628 Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:00 PM
I have my catmint in a spot that is shaded partially by the deck in our yard. It gets full sun in the afternoon, but not before 1 or 2pm. I planted three this year, and they seems to be doing well, other than the fact that my cat's almost eaten the middle one entirely. LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image