Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#37014 May 3rd, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
I had a pond post in the old forums, about how when the sewer contractor was here back in November, he very kindly dug out a hole for me to have a very nice sized pond. The hole has been just sitting there, filling up with snow and water over the past several months, and Don and I finally got outside today and plotted out the shape for him to fix it into:

[Linked Image]

I know it's hard to see the yellow rope that Don used, but this is only the beginning. He has to rebuild some of the sides that caved in during the winter months, and also build plant shelves into 2 of the sides. Plus we are going to have a waterfall in the back, and raised gardens on either side of it, and gardens on the sides. And the front part is going to go more in towards the center a little bit. I'll also have garden on either side.

You can see the tiny bathtub pond that I've had for the past 2 summers - it will be pulled out, because we'll need that area for the walkway in the front of the new pond.

Soooooooooooo much to do - I'll update as we go along...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#37115 May 3rd, 2007 at 05:46 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow lynne! it looks so huge, i realy loved what ya did with the tub pond, cant wait to see what ya do to your new one.

[Linked Image]
sibyl #37992 May 5th, 2007 at 04:30 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Im eagerly waiting and watching to see what you will do. keep taking the photos Lynne.

[Linked Image]
glenda #39318 May 7th, 2007 at 08:42 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
you have got to keep up this post, i am MORE than excited to see the progress!

YOUR ASSIGNMENT-----A NEW PHOTO EVERYDAY YOU DO SOMETHING TO IT!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #40905 May 9th, 2007 at 03:29 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
OK Wendy - here you go! lol blush

Don spent most of this afternoon digging around the outside border shape. The very outer edge will be rocks, and the inner edge will be plant shelves. The back end will have a waterfall and raised gardens on either side of it. You can see the first 3 rocks that he placed for the waterfall! lol thumbup Too much detail??? bop why It will be built up into the mound of dirt back there.

[Linked Image]

Sorry the picture is crooked - I took it while standing on the deck stairs.

Oh... have I mentioned that this pond is taking on a life of its own???
What we thought was going to be a 3,000 gallon pond, is now closer to 8,000 gallons!!! Which is wonderful on the one hand, but [color:#CC33CC]EVER SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE WHERE PUMPS, FILTERS, ETC
are concerned! shock boohoo rspb
[/color]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
OMG! that is going to be huge! it's wonderful though! this may be a stupid question, do you buy a liner that big or have to piece on together? i wish i lived closer, that looks like a good place to dump my koi! still wish i could find a good home for him, he is wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy toooooo big for my pond now!

faerywatcher #41562 May 10th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
NEVER a stupid question, Wendy!!!

The pond store near us has liners that are very wide - we will be getting one that is about 15x30 feet. I can't even think about the cost - as I said... this pond is taking on a life of its own! shock

How large is your koi, and how long have you had it?
I'm going to start out with the very small, cheaper ones - we have too many predators here to spend too much on the fish - have to see if they can survive! why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
As amazing as this is going to look, I really liked your little bathtub pond! I wish we had an old bathtub!! LOL

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; May 11th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oh lynne, that's going to be too cool! I'm so excited for you! From one small pond owner to another(soon to not be another). lol

The cost will be bad, but think of all the years of enjoyment you'll get out of it! thumbup What will you use as an underlayment for the liner? We used old porch carpeting in our small one.

Mark is currently looking for a big piece of rubber to use for our new pond! So it stil might happen this year! shots

#42193 May 11th, 2007 at 01:59 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Pink - you'd be surprised at how many bathtubs I saw by the sides of roads just after we put ours in the ground!!! It was about this time of year, 2 years ago - seems that many people were re-doing their bathrooms and had put them out for trash. It was soooo tempting not to take another one at the time! (of course not knowing then, that I would someday have a REAL pond! lol

loz - Don got a delivery of sand to put in the bottom under the liner. He also shook out all the dirt from the grass that he dug up around the sides, for an added buffer. He's being very careful about smoothing it all out before getting the liner.

I hope Mark finds some rubber soon, and that you get your larger pond this summer too, so we can compare notes! thumbup clap flwr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
thumbup And how deep is the middle again?

It's so cool. I can't wait to see it all filled in with water and plants around it! Will you have a seating area nearby? Maybe you said something about that and I missed it.

#42223 May 11th, 2007 at 02:46 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, now that's a pond. I'd like a small one but they seem rather pricey here.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #42239 May 11th, 2007 at 03:19 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - the deepest part will be 3 1/2 feet. I had read on several pond forums that it should be that deep for the fish to overwinter under the ice we'll get here. BUT... when we were in the pond store last weekend, the guy said it only needs to be 2 feet! Oh, well... it's too late for that! rolz

I am definitely planning on planting around the 2 sides, and around the waterfall. I'm going to move the black wrought iron arbor bench to one side for seating. I finally figured out what I need to do with it - you see... the birds have been perching on the top and doing their "business" on the cushions on the bench, so last summer I didn't get to sit on it at all - it was too disgusting! I bought a vinyl tablecloth, and am going to sew a cover to put up on the arbor part - it will both protect the cushions, and shade the top of the bench! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It will look so nice Lynne! Heck that deep? You could go swimming in it! lol Our small one now is about 18 inches to 20 inches deep---that's why I brought my fish in last winter because we didn't make it deep enough. Well I thought I got all the mosquito fish out last year, we drained it and everything...Well this spring, lo and behold there were some I must've missed and they made it thru the winter just fine. When we redo it, it will be at least 3 ft in the middle.....

Good idea with your arbor bench. The birds do like to "do their business" all over our pretty stuff huh?

#42839 May 12th, 2007 at 05:14 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've always heard 3 ft if you get snow. we don't, so 18 inches is good. but if i were digging one, i'd want 2-3 feet.

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
my koi was bought by mistake at walmart 2 years ago. i was new at ponds and fish, i picked out a real pretty fantail goldfish and not knowing it, i let my husband pick "JAWS" out. it was about 2 inches then, and now he (or she) has to about 8 inches now. the pond is only 165 gal., and i have 3 other goldfish in there. it is a constant battle to keep the water clear. i found a pet store in town that would take it, but now i feel sorry for him. it is not his fault he is a monsterfish. he seems so happy.

faerywatcher #43118 May 12th, 2007 at 06:58 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
sorry, i was trying to quote and DID'NT! my last post was to answer lynne's question and my koi.

i am soooo excited about seeing your finished pond i feel like it is my own!

faerywatcher #44241 May 14th, 2007 at 03:35 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Wendy - I feel like you are the cheering section! lol kissie

The latest accomplishment is that Don built the deeper shelf on the left side. This will hold the hardy water lilies that need to be between 18-24 inches deep - the shelf is about 18 deep. He's now working on the shallower, right side shelf, as I type!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#50776 May 24th, 2007 at 07:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Lynne, don't leave us hanging---I'm dying for an update! kissie

#53275 May 28th, 2007 at 05:57 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
loz you are sooooooooo funny! lol
Thanks all! kissie

Don didn't get a chance to work on the pond much the past week, but made up for it this long weekend. He put in the pipes for the bottom drain, and continued to dig out the shelves, and a recessed edge for the lining rocks to go on. He was out there with his lazer level tonight, and saw that he still has much work to do before the liner goes in...

Today's progress...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

more next post...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
The pipe is all ready to hook up to the drain, once he gets the liner in, and puts the drain cover through it - that will be a little while...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Yippee, an update!!!! lol Very cool that you are going to have that pipe in there like that.

Things are looking great!!!! It's so exciting when you fill it and the water is so nice and clear and you can see the fishes every move around the pond. I've been sitting by mine for hours just watching them.

Looking forward to more updates...and Lynne, don't leave me hanging again. lol neener

#53352 May 28th, 2007 at 07:45 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Funny loz! lol thumbup

I might be begging you for a few of those mosquito fish when it's all said and done - they are REEEEEEEEEEEAlly bothering me, and Amy came home from a BBQ down the street tonight, covered in bites!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sure thing, once they pop out babies no problem. They can have 100 babies at a time....live babies.

They haven't mated yet, but one looks very pregnant so it could be soon. I bought mine on ebay originally--9 of them and only 2 didn't make it on the trip from Oregon to Maryland....so I think they'd ship relatively well.

I'm still super excited about your pond!!!! I'm a ponder now.....I just love them. Everyones, and anyones!

#53413 May 29th, 2007 at 04:16 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Wow! Lots of work. I cant wait to see it all done! I guess youcant wait either! lol

Wrennie #54117 May 29th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow, looks great Lynne, can't wait to see the end result. Your hubby is sure doing a nice job on your pond!

[Linked Image]
Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE
#55339 May 31st, 2007 at 11:43 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks again, all!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
Most everyone here knows we live in [color:#333333]ROCK
land county, riiiiiiiiight???
And it wasn't named that for no reason, riiiiiiight?

So, what does my husband go and do the other day???
He went to a stoneware place and ordered a pallet of ROCKS for $200!!!
touched uhuhh rolz

Thank goodness he had some birthday money saved up, or he'd be wearing those rocks on his head right about now!!!devil He wanted flat rocks to line the inset edge of the pond, and he said he'll put the more "shapely" ones on top of those. I'm hoping this is going to come out they way I invisioned it!
(it wasn't with flat rocks!!!) idea
[/color]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#56551 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 06:20 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohh Lynne this is going to be one fantastic pond!! It sounds like Don is just as enthusiastic as you are , and he is doing a terrific job at putting it together,, I'm sure it will be as your designed it.. He just has his way of getting to the results you invision notme :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #56598 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 07:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Lynne, don't worry it's going to look wonderful when it's all done! I can't WAIT to see it!!!! thumbup

#56919 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:05 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i have a question though, i meant to ask a while ago. what is the point of that drain pipe?

#56951 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I see where a lot of big clay fishing ponds/farm ponds have drain pipes.....

I guess that one there is in case Lynne wants to totally drain out the pond for some reason....How will that be hooked up to a drain so the liner doesn't leak?

Are you getting Koi fish? I did read that drains are important in a pond if you keep Koi.

#56959 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:50 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i was thinking all those things too loz...

#57258 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 10:19 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i'm wondering the same thing but it is looking fabulous!

faerywatcher #57495 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:03 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Ok - I didn't want to answer your questions until I got the facts right, from Don. He said that the drain takes the water from the bottom of the pond, through the pipes and then through the pump. Then through the bio-filter, and out through the waterfall to return back into the pond. "In addition we are going to have a skimmer filter".

PHEW!!! lol thumbup

He also said about the drain itself...
"They make a special gasket and fitting that creates a water-tight seal through the liner" so it won't leak.

Thanks for all the nice comments and questions. kissie
This certainly is a learning experience for us all, isn't it? idea

ooops - almost forgot - yes, loz - I am DEFINITELY hoping to get some koi fish, but will get the very small, young CHEAP ones, in case a critter decides to make a meal of them!!! I've read that they grow pretty fast also, so it will be fun to watch that too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, that makes more sense. it isn't really a drain at all, but just the line to the pump.

i like that set up, but i will have mine about 6 inches above the bottom, 'cause i've accidentally drained my pond one too many times, and i don't want dead, dried out fishes! :loL:

#57523 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:28 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Well... technically... it IS a drain, looks like a drain (walks like a drain? lol touched)

Just had to add that - getting a bit slap-happy these days!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Well... technically... it IS a drain, looks like a drain (walks like a drain? lol touched)

Just had to add that - getting a bit slap-happy these days!

walks like a duck, talks like a duck, must be a duck? why lol

i suppose it is a drain, but in terms that a drain carries the water away from the pond for discard, and this carries it for recirculation... but, like i said, i'd be afraid i goofed and dried out my fish nervous

#58212 Jun 4th, 2007 at 09:35 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i get it, this acts like tubing i have running from pump, out and up to my small stream. i can't wait to see this up and running.

faerywatcher #62045 Jun 9th, 2007 at 12:17 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Do you ever see any heron down there Lynne? They love to eat out of peoples buffets ponds. If you get a heron statue they tend to stay away. they think the territory is already 'taken'.

Wrennie #62521 Jun 10th, 2007 at 09:41 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Wrennie - I haven't seen any heron around here - YET!!! uhuhh

But my friend who lives up in Chester? All her koi were eaten/killed by herons last summer - it was so sad - she was beside herself! boohoo Her yard is fenced in, so it couldn't have been any other critter, and she has seen a heron there before... tears

I'm more concerned about the 'coons - I've read that they can really make a mess out of ponds in their attempts to get to the fish - knocking over the plants and caving in sides - we haven't tried to trap them yet - it has to be overnight when Don isn't working the next day, so he can transport them up to the preserve. That's HIS job... thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image