Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi,
I planted some "Sequoia" strawberries about a month ago. they're in good garden soil with a lot of organic compost added to it. What I've noticed is that the leaves that have grown since planting are way bigger than the leaves that were already on the plants. Is it good to have gigantic leaves on strawberry plants? Or should I be adding something specific to feed the berries? Please advise, I planted these for my husband and would like to make sure he gets some really good berries. Thank you

Enjoy your day!
Donna
Mine all have rather big leaves. . . and as far as the berries go, you said you planted them just a month ago? I wouldnt even consider the thought of berries the first year. You have to let the plant grow for a season, and berries the next. I'm not sure what kind "Sequoia" are, june-bearing or ever-bearing. . but I was told to specifically not let the runners go until fall. So pluck them runners when you see them. . you cant miss them theyre like a alien tentacle extracting a long ways from the plant.

I guess when runners are out, they take away from the fruit size & quality, so pluck em right out when u see them. I'm also told that you COULD let the plant berry its first year, just makes the plant smaller i guess? Personally i planted mine late last summer & have a full 2 plants this year with LOTS of blooms/berries!!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Danno is right, new plants have small berries. The second and third year are the best. Then you replace those plants with your new babies from the runners after the third season.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Sequoias are the most common strawberry plant sold out here, and are everbearing.
Sequoias don't make runners, and yes, the leaves can get really large.
Donna, I'm in Oceanside, hi !

oceanside. . . . . (draws a blank) HI :)

1k Posts
1k Posts
My new strawberries are ever-bearing ones. I planted them outside about a week ago and since then we've had high winds and the poor things look horrible. Their leaves have brown/yellow edges on some of them, but I think they're still growing I can see the little runners coming out. So hopefully they'll be alright.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image