Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#60902 Jun 8th, 2007 at 06:31 AM
OP Offline
Hi all--I am new to these forums, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong spot!

Short version: I am new to North Carolina (I live on the coast), a transplant from 31 years in the Arizona desert. As you might imagine, gardening here is MUCH different. So basically, I am a new gardener, too.

I have a gardenia bush in my side yard. It is doing wonderfully!

But--I am worried that it is planted right up next to my house. It is a good 6 feet tall.

Do gardenia roots damage foundations like oleanders do?

cara_mastropasqua #61709 Jun 8th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
no

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #65993 Jun 14th, 2007 at 08:31 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I love them big like that.would love to see a photo though!
I'm sure you'll love the lower temps.humidity will be different for you.
how much space between the plants stems at back& your house& what type foundation?

They don't like their roots disturbed.they like acidic soil.you can fertilize them in march& end of june with a acidic fertilizer.don't after that(reason is your foliage will be hardened off for the winter while if you fertilzed agin you'd have new growth that could get damaged)you can add some organic matter top dressing and mulch with bark.if your temps drop below 15 or air temp below 15 toss a blanket over the shrub to protect the tips.Prune after flowering.weak stems damaged stems poor produceing stems and to shape.Try to keep water of of foliage& flowers when watering.

Problems.
sooty mold on leaves(will be blackish gray smudges that you can rub off) cause is whiteflys.whiteflys look like cotton with legs.
gray aphids.they hide on underside of leaves.
Bud drop.drop before opening
low humidity
over water
under water
not enough light
temps too high at night(ideal is 50-55 night temps)

sometimes a nutrient defienctcy,but acidic fertilzer HAS the nutrients it needs,but sandy soil looses them faster.so may add a 3 month time release acidic fertilizer

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image