Rate Thread
#59752 Jun 6th, 2007 at 08:15 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've got a few of these things growing...not anything i planted - i seem to have at least two univited guests each year now.

k. still don't have a camera so i'll describe as best i can.

small daisy-like flowers. 1/2 inch across, bright yellow center with short white petals (maybe 1/4 inch) with squared off ends. if you hold the flower so the yellow part is facing up, the petal growth is straight up - not out like a daisy.

a few plants have reached about 3 feet tall and it's not bushy - has one stalk growing straight up with hairy leaves that are pointed growing along the stalk. none of the leaves are longer than a couple of inches. they're hairy and so is the stalk...not spikey tho (doesn't hurt when you touch). the stalk is pretty sturdy and is about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick (on the tallest one).

the flowers grow in various places along the uppermost portion of the stalk. it's actually quite pretty and if it's something worth keeping!

it's in 3 different spots in the back beds. i pulled a couple out - they were in between cracks in the concrete and came up very easily - not sure if this is due to where it was growing that caused the shallow roots or if that's just it's nature.

take the following and make the petals white and cut them off about halfway and you'll have what i'm talking about.

[Linked Image]

Zone 6b
Joclyn #60511 Jun 7th, 2007 at 01:59 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Some sort of wild aster, maybe? I'm not sure, joclyn. I have them in my gardens from time to time and I pull them!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #61713 Jun 8th, 2007 at 05:49 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #61731 Jun 8th, 2007 at 06:24 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
rugby, thank you!!!

it's the erigeron - have to take another look at the leaves to see if it's philadelphicus or annus variety.

yeah, it may be a weed to some people...i think it's pretty darn pretty and i'm gonna keep it grin

Zone 6b
Joclyn #63548 Jun 11th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
This was my answer to gm4:

plant or weed!!!??

Well... What's the difference? Do you like it? A rose by anyother name and all that... Most of what's in my garden someone else would pull out and plant something not native to my area. I like asters, daisies, brown-eyed-susans, salsify, the self-seeded cone flowers, buttercups, road-side day lillies, ..., and I'm featuring a poke weed this year. It's more amazing than the 9 foot goldenrod were last year. The naturalized violets and ferns are also beautiful. IMHO, if you like it, grow it, if not, compost it. And don't worry about labels.
___

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #63611 Jun 11th, 2007 at 09:01 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i agree completely!!!

i've let the violets and the wild strawberry stay in the beds...in fact, the violets make for a nice tight-growing ground cover - keeps the weeds out pretty nicely and they make a nice base for the taller plants - even after they're done blooming.

and, most surprising of all, the violets actually stop the creeping charlie!!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image