Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54413 May 29th, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
So...anyone had any luck or have any ideas about eradicating burdock from my back yard? I mean, I'm glad to know the stuff taking over my back yard isn't poisonous like we originally thought, but it's covering a 25X10 plot of our small back yard. Any advice would be helpful.

Peace and Soybeans,

ERN
Erinne #57676 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 10:38 PM
The limited luck I've had with taprooted weedy perennial's is to keep any plant material cut off at the soil line and dig down to remove as much of the taproot as is possible. That will be quite a chore with the area you have.

If I've cleared a small area of weeds with taproots, I place a large plastic trash can cover over the spot to block out light for a few days at a time. The cover is lightweight enough that the soil doesn't compact and is easier to lift up to access soil condition then mulch covered landscape fabric. If you see any above ground growth, repeat the process and cover again for a few days.

You could invite an herbalist over to dig up their year's supply of burdock root.

herbalyn #58205 Jun 4th, 2007 at 08:40 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
These are bienials(sp?!). They grow vegetatively the first year, flower and set seed then die the next. What you want to do is let them go to seed and cut off the seed stalk just before/as it matures. Then the parent plant will die fulfilled and not spread any children. Biennials will persist if not allowed to go to seed. It just depends upon how much of a hurry you are in.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #60431 Jun 7th, 2007 at 12:29 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
lawnmower.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #81346 Jul 2nd, 2007 at 08:05 PM
If you don't mind using round up, cut at the lowest point you can on the main stalk depending on how big they are, and spray with roundup on the wound area, it kills it dead.
The lot next door to me is woody and unused but just full of burdock, so I end up spraying just on the other side of my fence in yard, otherwise, I am pulling burrs off of my dog. :(
The smaller ones I just mow and they tend to die out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image