Print Thread
Rate Thread
#60037 Jun 7th, 2007 at 07:56 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Having planted my sunflowers I'm now considering how I'm going to protect the flowers from the birds of the ones I want to harvest some seeds from.

Will the birds leave about 20 seeds on the plant so I can have those? Or will I need to fend them off?

If I do have to fend them off can I use some of the netting that is used for the onion bags you get at the grocery store? Or will they peck right through it? I have some this is somewhat finer than the fish net type.

And can I just put it over the flower or do I need to rig something so that it will stand away from the flower?

And the next question which I know you all are waiting for is...am I making any sense?

Thanks for all the help.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #60062 Jun 7th, 2007 at 08:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Not sure Tammy, I feed the birds so they don't bother with my sunflowers TOO much. They do go after them a bit though but I usually always have tons of seeds left to gather out of them.

Hope someone comes thru that can tell you a good suggestion.

#60076 Jun 7th, 2007 at 08:27 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
well if they leave some that would be all I need. I'm glad you responded. Thankyou for the information.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #60083 Jun 7th, 2007 at 08:40 AM
mrw Offline
My son has been trying to get sunflower plants going from seeds but the squirrels and chipmunks keep eating them! He has resorted to putting the plants on his roof to keep them safe. Now what is going to keep him safe??? (from falling off the roof) :>

wildwoman
mrw #60300 Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I start them indoors. I know they don't like to be moved but if you use a bio-degradeable pot that's not a problem. And even with the little yogurt cups I use the problem seems to rectify itself a few days after transplant. That gives them a head start so the squirrels and chipmunks can't dig them up before they sprout.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #60307 Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I started some inside, and I've dug up random ones popping up and moved them....you're right they don't like being moved, and there's serious leaf wilt that occurs...but good waterings and sun perks them right back up! thumbup

Tammy keep an eye on them as they mature....I think I remember Michael down in GC putting something over sunflowers at the end of the season to keep things from eating the seeds....not sure what he used now but you could probably ask him!

#60351 Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:49 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks loz. The best of all possible solutions is that the birds get most of the seeds and I get a few. Hope it works out that way.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #60429 Jun 7th, 2007 at 12:24 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Most of my sunflowers are volunteers from the feeders & critterd burying them. I would say if you just want a handful of seeds to keep an eye on the flowers. When you see the chickadees, goldfinch, woodpeckers {whoever} eating at the bent over heads you know they are ripe, and go snip off a flower head to save. Even if some are eaten there should be enough left to plant and trade.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image