Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59610 Jun 6th, 2007 at 05:54 PM
kami Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey All, I am new to gardening and had a lot of fun planting last year. Now we are putting an addition in right where I planted! I would really love to save these plants to put in front of our new addition.
I have a bunch of bulbs (tulip, daffodil, bluebells, hyacinth, etc.) Lilitrops, periwinkle, and a few others. Any tips for saving them? would it be too much to move them now and then again in the fall when we are done building?
Thanks for any advise.

kami #59708 Jun 6th, 2007 at 07:08 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you can certainly move the bulbs!! now and again in the fall.

i'd leave the green stuff on (if there's any still left) as that feeds the bulb for flowers next year. just move them to an out of the way corner - you can leave them there until they bloom/die off next year or move them in this fall (if the addition has been completed by then).

if you have any bulbs in that area that haven't come up and/or bloomed yet, you can move them now, too. depending on which kind they are, you may interrupt the bloom cycle this year. that's not that big a deal as long as the leaves still grow - the photosynthesis that they do is what feeds the bulb. and they'll get back to the norm next year.

the vinca (periwinkle) will be fine - just make sure to get as much root as you can and water it well for the first month so they get re-established. vinca is one hardy plant so it can take being moved numerous times.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image