Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56891 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 02:58 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I've had hydrangeas in my front garden for some ten or more years. I've never cut them back, (from what I can remember), moreover, I pinch the dried mophead blooms back in early spring. The leaves last a very long time on the plant too. For the first time last year, my hydrangea blooms were mixed in color. Prior to that, they have always been pink (you know that's my favorite color lol). I let them slide last year. Well, this year they did it again, I've got multi colored mopheads. Some are pink, others are purple and a few are blue. They are pretty and are providing a beautiful show this year! flwr

Here are my questions.

1. Is it too late to amend the soil?

2. I've not cut them since I planted them 10 or so years ago. Should I do this are is it a personal preference?

3. I've NEVER cut the blooms. I'm contemplating doing so very soon. I read that they can even be dried out in a vase. They are so pretty outside but I would prefer enjoying them inside more.

What do you think?

Here's a few pics

[Linked Image]

And another

[Linked Image]

Suggestions, comments, tips etc

#56928 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
WOW WOW WOW! I too am jealous!!!! I have big mopheads like that but they are white....I cut them back each year either late fall or early spring, but I live in a different zone than you and mine die back to the ground each year.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

BTW, I cute my blooms for indoor use often....I just sort of lightly shake/spray them off first...little spiders like to hang out in there. lol

Last edited by loz; Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
#56930 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 04:19 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it's a personal preference for pruning

amending the soil won't make a difference this year (i don't think) but it will for next year

and wow! beautiful! i want some...

#57010 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 05:42 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
what a beautiful bush!!! i'm still waiting for mine to look that nice!

since it's so full, it would be kind of hard to amend the soil at this point. AND since the different color is not limited to just one side of the bush, you're going to have to amend a large portion of soil - and go down pretty deeply.

the roots have grown down into soil that has a different ph - i don't know if you're going to accomplish getting all the blooms back to pink.

i really wouldn't worry about it, tho...it's absolutely gorgeous as it is!!

you can let the blooms dry on the bush or cut them and bring them inside to dry - they make a nice addition to arrangements - fresh or dry!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #57251 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 09:57 PM
Hello; My reply is "if it aint broke dont fix it" wow what
a beautifull bush. This assortment of colors is sold like
this, it is called the kalidscope hydranga.

Donnie

Sometimes I wake up grouchy,other days I just let her sleep,while I'am outside in the garden she is
counting sheep. (%$#@%*#&@) sorry honey,I didn't
say that...honey put down that hoe... :(
swampfox #57838 Jun 4th, 2007 at 08:52 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I LOVE your colors.One of the neighbors here...hers changed some last year but shes not got any pinks in color.Her's had been staying blue-blue shades then last year a few stems we're on the purple side,then looked kinda like yours colorwise in blue/purples.(I like yours better :D)

This is what I know.
To best KEEP a color.containers are best.It is EASIER to keep and to change the PH in a container than in ground.

It's easier to go from PINK to blue than blue to pink.(I know....you didn't want to hear that.)Changeing from blue to pink means REMOVEING aluminuim sulfate FROM the plant.

Use a HIGH phosphorus fertilizer.Look for one with the HIGHEST #.The phospourus will help prevent your plant from seeking aluminum.
Add dolimitic lime several times a year and keep the PH in a 6.2-6.4 range(I learned at 6.4 you get iron defientcy this year)
Also...lime is in concrete,but after so many years.it stops leaching out.Its a shame its so hard for southeners to get a good pink colored hygrandgea.

Moveing them can cause color changes.(I moved one from SIL house after it burned.It was more blue in her yard,but was pinks that year on what stems survived the fire.now is more like mine soft liliac)I'm always scared mine will change cause my soil is sandy.I had a small problem earlier the leaves we're lacking some iron magnesuim....so gave them acid fertilizer to fix that.
I moved a section of my neighbors nikko blue to my yard.Now hers has started back blooming again(took off for yrs...no blooms.It's bloomed sice I took a section,but my section has not bloomed.)I hope to keep the color like hers.I need to snap a shot anyway.Then I have an oakleaf hygrandgea That I would never part with.It just looks awesome in the winter,but looks good in summer too if the dogs don't run through it.They both root easily.I root them in the fall...stick& leave..growth spurts about Feb.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #58007 Jun 4th, 2007 at 12:23 PM
I LOVE your bush!! I've never seen one like that. I live in MN and NONE of the hydrangeas around here are that vibrant. SO SOSOSOSO pretty! I agree with whoever said it before - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Gorgeous.

2k Posts
2k Posts
here's mine
Nikko blue
Mine
& the last shot is the oakleaf hygrandgea I moved last year.This sucker gets all day sun.no shade.Was a 2 yr cutting when moved so its 3 years now.it will look so awesome this fall.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #58530 Jun 5th, 2007 at 08:37 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sorry.My dew is flat.its affecting me.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Cindy!
Thanks! Hope yours grow well for you and soon!

Hey Laura,
Thanks. Your white mophead sounds lovely. I'd love to see pics. I finally cut a few h's and vased them. Pics will follow.

Hey Jiffy!
I didn't think so either. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed them.

joclyn, thank you. Good info there regarding amending soil. I do like it.

swapfox, I agree. I'm going to keep the colors the way they are. Yall are right!

hi njoynit, Thanks and thanks for all of your good info as well. I'll make notes. Your nikko is very pretty and I love your oakleaf H. Have never seen one until now. Thanks for showing.

Here's a few pics of my vased hydrangeas indoors.

[Linked Image]

And another.
[Linked Image]

njoynit #58958 Jun 5th, 2007 at 08:05 PM
Wow! I don't know much about hydrangeas, but I do know yours is GORGEOUS! I agree with the person who said "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!" :)

2k Posts
2k Posts
I'll dig the oakleafs fall colors pic up.

njoynit #59266 Jun 6th, 2007 at 08:13 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
A bloom from last year on hygrandgea after moveing it.

[Linked Image]

I'm searching for the oakleaf from fall.I think i'm ready for a search engine IN my photobucket.I've now searched computer& am loading the picture.
flowers/oakleafhygrandea2ndyrcuttings1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Its grown some some stems since then& don't look as 'dog-runned'

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks gardenkitten! Love your name! :wink: I've decided not to amend the soil at this time. I kind of like the array of colors too! Yall talked me into it.

njoynit, wow, that nikko blue is awesome! Love it. Also, the oakleaf H is very interesting in that it turns colors. I want some, I want some. lol flwr

2k Posts
2k Posts
I still can't believe that pink...........

I did BUY one once that was pink when bought it.Was endless summer.Poor thing don't even bloom or do much of anything.I do think about buying the red leafed one.........I grew what I called a 'snowball ' one up Indpls.It was white blooming.they laid on ground.sometimes....if paid attention...I could stick the stemmed buds through the chain link.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
njoynit, thanks! I know. Today while watering the hydrangeas, I noticed around the back of the bush are blue hydrangeas. They are pretty too. Still love the pink though. I think I even saw a multi colored on one bract. Will check it out again tomorrow and may take a pic and post here.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Penny!
Okay, snapped this one in the am. Pic of tri color hydrangea.

[Linked Image]

Another

[Linked Image]

Here' a pic of of the blues growing on the back end of the bush.

[Linked Image] Okay, I've got a kaliedscope of colors, now various flowers are tri colored themselves. flwr

What next? rolz :wink:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image