Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#58909 Jun 5th, 2007 at 07:15 PM
OP Offline
I've planted a bunch of dahlias and most of them are looking great. I don't know why, however, some are taking off more than others as I have treated them all the same. They are different sizes, so maybe that the issue.

We recently received all day rain storm. Afterwards, one of the young growths on my dahlia looked very droopy. This morning, I pinched it off and realized it had rotted. There is another small shoot beginning to grow beside it. I cut off the rotten part and the rest of the tuber doesn't seem to be rotting. Is there hope for this plant? Did I do the right thing?

carolynp #59419 Jun 6th, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
If the tuber itself isn't rotted I think it will be OK. I've actually bought dahlias in bloom from a local nursery in early spring, cut them back in summer after they bloomed and they regrew and bloomed again fall.

I know what you mean about some doing better than others. I planted 6 tubers of all the same dahlia in 2 pots (3 in each pot). One pot all 3 came up and is full of growth and the other only had one come up and looks pitiful.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image