Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53646 May 29th, 2007 at 06:51 AM
OP Offline
I have a beautiful/expensive 6-ft privacy fence in my backyard. Yesterday the owner/renters living behind me ........the husband told me that his wife told him to clear/weed at my fence on their side and to plant honeysuckle and trumpet vines. He did it yesterday morning.

My husband and I work hard in our yard and make sure that our fence is always weed free including vining weeds.

The neighbor told me they planted this stuff so it will grow on the fence.

I am irate!

Suggestions from anyone?

#53685 May 29th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
If the fence is on your property than you have full say. Just politely tell them that the fence is yours and you would rather not see anything attatched to it.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the suggestions! ...and were they fast! I know I have the receipt for the fence somewhere and remember it cost somewhere between $5000 to $7000.

The owner of the neighboring house is a young gentleman around 30 years of age who is currently residing there. He is having a hard time keeping up his mortgage payment so his Aunt and her husband have moved in to help him out.

My husband just wants to spray weed killer on the whole mess, but I think that's being sneaky and I don't think I need to be sneaky about anything.

I've been weeding the garden all morning and their three cats have been lounging on my patio. I love animals but don't have the money and time to care for my own. Anyway, I just got the garden hose out and sprayed them out of my yard. I know cats have free reign but I don't want them living at my residence.

Aren't I a crab? lol

Anyway, my husband phoned me from work a short time ago and told me that he will speak with "the neighboring husband". Poor husbands! .....especially since this guy told me he just does what his wife tells him to do.

Hopefully I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and all will end well.

Thanks again to everyone; especially to let me vent! lol

#58207 Jun 4th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Future reference for everyone - always put fences/hedges/border trees/plantings/etc... 1 foot or lawnmower width in(or more as space allows) on your side of the property line. Then there is no question about what grows where.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Yipes. That does sound like a toughie. Good luck! Our fences are on the property line in our neighborhood, but that's because everyone's backyards are fenced in. It's a little stickier in the front yards, my neighbor has a raised bed about a foot from her property line, and the opposite side of it (my side) has become my grass. So far, no issues, but still, it's hard to deal with neighbors when you don't see eye-to-eye.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
margaret has a good point there!!

regardless of whether the fence is inside the property line or right on the edge of it, if it's YOUR fence, they've NO RIGHT at all to plant something that will grow on it!!

planting something next to it, on their side of it, would be acceptable.

i'd have a nice, friendly/neighborly chat with the guy and ask him to remove the vines to a spot far enough away from the fence so that they won't do any damage to it. i'd suggest he put in some kind of trellis, also (instead of using your fence as such).

Zone 6b
Joclyn #65695 Jun 13th, 2007 at 07:22 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think if YOUR fence is on YOUR property---
neither the guy NOR his wife have any right to use your fence. it is that simple--
and even if it is on the property line it is still yours---

and it could be he told you what he did because he figured it was your fence & he was looking for you to tell him that he could not plant--so he would not be the one not doing as his wife asked.??? it could be-----

But to be honest one of the main reasons we do not have a fenced in back yard is I do not want to chop 3 ft of my property off as it were. The town I live in has regulations to that effect. All fences have to be 3 ft inside of your property.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. good luck hon.. keep us posted as to what happens!!! thumbup

Trumpet vines are stunning, but a huge pain as far as runners go. So - even if they aren't touching YOUR fence, the runners will go over under and around! I have runners shooting up in the middle of the lawn a full 30 foot away from my main vines.

good luck!

Sandy R.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image