Rate Thread
#57025 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 05:51 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I have noticed that weird things have been hapening in my garden for the past little while. My calla lily that was given to me as a gift disappeared, tuber and all. just gone. I found a hole there one day before school while I did my routine walk looking at my plants. the tops of my canna lilies were snapped off, but I would like to assume that it was an animal that did that. before we moved into our house, I sowed a mix of cosmos and bachelor's buttons so that they would have a quick start. my mom went out with everyone so I stayed inside today. I was out at around 12 this morning. stayed inside until half an hour ago, and what did I find? my cosmos torn from the ground, root and all and they laid in a nead pile at the side of the bed. who ever or what ever did it yanked out the roots as well and I just replanted them, I'm hoping they survive. Funny thing is, they only did it to the cosmos, and they left my bachelor's buttons alone...I'm am frustrated but I don't want to make any false accusations too soon, what should I do?

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
oh kenny, that is terrible! i'd keep watch, can you see the beds from any windows? any clues who/what?

i'm so sorry you are experiencing this kissie

#57073 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 06:48 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds like someone was "helping" you by weeding your flower bed. I've had similar help before. Very frustrating. The first sounds like an animal.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#57274 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 02:30 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My first thought is no trespassing signs. It is frustrating when someone just comes along and does something without consulting you. I know that won't work but that's the way my mind works. Does you family plan to fence the yard? That's the best way to fix that kind of problem. even just the tall edging fences can make it more difficult to work in beds, like the wire ones you can get at the dollar stores sometimes.

And maybe it would be best to focus on the foundation beds right now. Being that close to the house most people should leave them alone.

[Linked Image]
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Thanks everyone, they are technically foundation beds as they are right at the side of the house though they are not withing our back yard (so the space at the side of the house between the drive way and the yard. there are no windows that face that way so I guess from now on I should plant stuff in the actual yard. but the cosmos were in the backyard that was fenced off so I'm lost...lol

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I am sooooo mad!!!!! the old owners left behind two really young rose of sharon bushes. Both of them have grown 2' tall close to 3' I just went out to check if anything else is wrong, and I found one of them snapped in half. These two bushes are inside the actual backyard that is fenced off. It was fine yesterday....I am seriously considering spraying some pepper spray (crushed chillies and water) and spraying it all over my plants. It won't do any harm to the plants. But whoever touches them, including me, will find their hands itchy...but that is my last resort. I don't know why anyone would do such a thing? Not sure if it's going to make a difference but I think it may have something to do with racism but I hope not. we are the only chinese family in this whole block/area. The rest of my neighbours are caucasian (no intention to insult anyone here). Just trying to rule out the possibilities. There is a garden that I walked by a few weeks ago that had a sign saying 'nationally reconized garden' and most of my neighbours and people around our block have quite nice garden and front yards...I'm pretty sure its not jealousy...help!!!

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Kenny IF your back yard is fenced off how could anyone get back there?? Do you have yard lights back there?? maybe you can put a sign up that says "security camera sees this area" or something like that!! I hate to hear this is happening to you !! I would be livid and staying up to see who or what this might be!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I'm not sure how it is in the US, but here, there is a wooden door that leads to our backyards, with a latching mechanism...I think its hidden quite well, but whoever it is might have found it. on a happier note, one of my cannas started to sprout and I'm going to be out ina few minutes to put a small chicken cage over it. put a brick on top of the cage to hold it in place and let's hope we don't have any hungry friends tonite!

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
If your parents are willing to put motion detector security lights out there it might help. At least with the night time vandals. Is there a neighborhood watch in your area? Could you talk to them about this and see if anyone else has had a problem? What do the local police say? Have there been reports of this kind of thing before?

I so hope it isn't racism. That would be just awful.

[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Kenny - I am soo soo sorry to read about this!
I know just how aggravating it can be, and hope you've seen the last of it!

Just to relay what happened to my gardens - when my son was in high school, there were some kids that took a dislike to him - they were jealous of some of his talents - they were "jocks", he was not, but had other talents. They started messing with our house - throwing eggs at it several times at night, pulling out and stomping on my gardens in the front yard, even shooting paintballs in a drive-by one night at the house. Each time we called the cops, but since they had gotten away, there wasn't anything they could/would do... but we had each time on record, in case they ever DID catch them they would be charged for each thing.

So, my husband put up a motion detector light on the front maple tree by the mailbox on the street. That thing went off every single time a car drove by, or an animal walked by, etc. BUT... we never had any damage again once it was installed! We would still be using it, if it hadn't caught fire during a rainstorm last summer - I had posted about that here - what fun that was - NOT!

Again... I hope your troubles are over, but if not, you might want to get one of those lights.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#57791 Jun 4th, 2007 at 06:46 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
so sorry to hear this kenny, have you talked to your neighbors?

[Linked Image]
#58188 Jun 4th, 2007 at 08:04 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Kenny I had a friend that things were being messed with in there yard well guess how they found out who was messing with it...they hid a camcorder in the bushes and got the evidence.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Kenny I feel for you. I went out to my garden today and someone/thing is walking on it. They smooshed some of the chocolate mint, sweet woodruff and stepped near but not on a bunch of other things. I so wish there was a way to stop it. Are you having any better luck?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image