Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Chelle Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a 4 x 4 feet spot in the backyard that I have 2 Better Boy tomato plants and 1 celebrity tomato plant. I didn't want to crowd the tomatoes too much. But I think there is room for a few smaller plants around the tomatoes. What can I stick in there, keeping in mind that its June already. I'm smack in the middle of the midwest and my little spot is on the south side of the house. No shade until late in the day.

I also have 2 sweet bell pepper plants on the west side of the house that get full sun after 10 / 11 AM.

Any tips on what to do to get lots of yummy matos and peppers? I used Osmocote fertilizer when we transplanted the starters a week ago. A little later than we would like, but that's a busy life.

Thanks for lending me your time!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Tomatoes like onions and they grow quickly so I would spot them between the tomatoes. They are suppose to improve the taste of the tomatoes. I'm doing it this year so I'l let you know here in a few weeks. My first tomatoes have just shown up on the plants and I'm so excited.

Tomatoes are heavy feeders so they like 50% compost in their soil when they are planted. It sure worked for mine. I did that this year and although they were slow to start growing now they look fantastic. It's the first year I've had really good looking plants and loads of buds. I also sprinkled fireplace ash lightly around their dripline underneath the grass clippings.

The grass clippings are to help keep the soil moist because it dries out quickly here in Virginia.

The peppers like a lot of water. But becareful not to get the leaves wet.

Watch out for Bottom End Rot and if you see it add calcium to the soil.

That's about all I can think of. And I've learned it all right here at the a garden forum.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image