Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53581 May 29th, 2007 at 06:28 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
my veggie garden is doing well will show pics @ a later time grin

Sandy
Help!!!

I'm new here - where do/what do I do to post for questions I have?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just find the forum of choice and post away. Click on 'New Topic' and you go from there. Welcome to the forum.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I think I got the bug that was eating the peppers. Now I just have to get the one that is getting the second set of radishes. The 'sweet william' tomatoes are blooming so that's good. And the 'sweet 100' tomato plant is growing really well so I am very please. The radishes and onions are doing great.

[Linked Image]
I just planted over the memorial weekend, as our last frost date is in Mid May. I planted 208 hot pepper plants that I grew from seed Lemon drops, Kung Pao, Cayennes, Jalapenos, Tabascos, Fish pepper, Orange Thai, Thai Dragons, Thai Pointsettias, Santa Fe, Hungarian yellow wax, Anahiem, Poblanos, Super Chili, Orange Habaneros. Also 14 Zukes- Black beauty. Some Bush Sugar baby watermelons (11), 30+ cukes- Pointset 76, 40 tomatoes - juliets, large cherrys, supersweet 100's, Gardeners Delight. Also growing a bunch of hardshell gourds again this year- apples, snakes, dippers, corsicans, Marankas, birdhouse. This year I am growing my peppers, and zukes, and watermelons through black plastic mulch to see if there is a difference (besides less weeding) It supposed to help with maturity of fruits, and yields. Last season I had a lot of still green hot peppers towards the end of the season. Im really looking forward to the Lemon Drops!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The peppers leaves that are comming up now are deformed. I have the worst luck with peppers. It looks like I'm not going to get any this year either.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, the soil is redug and mixed up with compost and manure, the count down is on for planting. Two weeks left.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Vegetable/vdin018/vdin018.htm (Tammy-read this about your deformed pepper leaves)

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
My veggie garden is doing well for now. All potatoes are up save one, and all cukes are doinq well also. I only got enough spinach for 1 or 2 meals, but everything else is ok.--I wish I would have marked which Tomato plant was the cherokee purple though--(& I usually do label my veggies) And I worry about the weeding---OH Well, I guess I just like to worry---I am sure all will be fine.

I say for now because I am worried who will take care of them the rest of the summer, after my surgery.

Sorry to sound so down--actually I have little green tomatoes, and flowers on my cukes and the onlions are healthy---I did not mean to complain---Actually all is going very well this year

Last edited by JunieGirl; May 30th, 2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: to add apology

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's a very informative site. The pictures don't look like what mine are doing but then I don't see so good so I could be mistaken.

It's a new area and I grew them from seed so the seeds must have been infected. That's a bummer. I have no access to copper so I guess I'm out of luck.

[Linked Image]
It is getting exciting! Everything is doing pretty well right now. We have had some rain and since my soaker hoses are being naughty that is a good thing. Think I need to get the duct tape out! rolz My onions and potatoes are always good, tomatoes small but okay as are peppers; lettuce, broccoli rabe, fennel, napa and pac choi are doing well. Cucs and squash look kind of fungusy so I sprayed. Peas took a while to germinate but should catch up and beans are up 6 inches until the rabbit gets them. :mad: Oh and garlic and shallots are out of control! We have eaten lettuce which is nice and everything else is growing. wavy

1k Posts
1k Posts
All my garden has come thro' and I'm tickled pink. It is amazing to be able to see the rows before the weeds take over. We've had so much rain that I haven't been able to get into the garden at all. So I've been watching from the side lines to see how it grows.

We'll be eating out first spinach salad this week. I can taste it already.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
just stroll down to the bottom of the page and u will see a box type in ur question

Sandy
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
a former gardener told me to sprinkle some flour on the plants that the bugs are eating and that will stop that problem

Sandy
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
i'll have to try that. Sounds interesting.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
Tammy, what's happening with your pepper leaves? Are they deformed or are they spotty/wilted?

My garden is doing great. We seem to be getting about 1-2 good rains a week and only 1-2 days of sunny and warm weather. Everything is loving it! I've got baby tomatoes on my heartland, purple cherokee, and pink caspian plants. My cukes and squash are growing like mad. It seems that the cantaloupes are a little bit of a slower grower than the other cukurbits. The watermelons and pumpkins are going insane and will be problematic before too long. All the flowers I plants are up and growing, looking good, except for the ones my cat likes to eat (his favorite seems to be marigolds). My peppers are being party-poopers, they don't appreciate the cooler, wetter weather. But they are blooming and I've seen a few buds of baby peppers poking out. My basil is sprouting and growing but the cat seems to have laid on and squished the catnip.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have Bacterial Leaf Spot as tamara identified. I've ordered some fixed copper solution to treat the problem. And next year I just won't be planting peppers or tomatoes since the disease can transfer from one to the other. That is if I am even here. The sweet banana peppers that are still inside I'll begin treating even before they go outside and I'll continue to treat them throughout the growing season.

I have some different basils that I've been meaning to plant but I forget and then have to be reminded just like your post reminded me this time. I'll probably get them planted sometime next week. I've had very little energy recently.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Tammy, plant your tomatoes and green peppers in containers.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Tamara,

That's a great idea but I can't afford contains that are large enough to do the job. Wish I did. I've got about 70 square feet under cultivation with the addition of the sunflowers and about 1/3 of that are the peppers and tomatoes. So far the peppers are the only ones that are infected and since I hand water I'm hoping I can keep it that way.

Thanks again for finding that website. I had to put my glasses on and study the pictures on it and then study my plants to finally determine that it was the same thing and it was. Now I've been busy educating the others that I have pepper plants about the disease and what it looks like encase there pepper plants come up with the problem. I'm hoping it's just my bed that is infected and not the seeds.

[Linked Image]
Garden is going great this year. I got started early (planted first week of March) and I have already begun my harvest. Got about 2 dozen zucc's so far, about the same on cherry grape tomatoes, I HAD to pick one ear of corn just to see how close it was...(I couldn't wait on it) rolz ..I do have what looks like some 'burnt' spots on my corn stalks, but it doesn't seem to effect it any. If anyone can help me with THAT I would be greatful. kissie

[Linked Image]

By the way, Have my website up-dated with MORE pictures of my backyard gardening. I REALLY didn't want to take up alot of room with pictures HERE, so go take a peek please! And remember...this is only my second season growing things (I'm still such a newbie)

MY Backyard Gardening!!

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: copyright corrections
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
chrissy, it looks good. but i changed the name of your link because it was misleading.

OPPS, thanks Jiffy. Didnt think of it.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
did I mention that I have two tomatoes forming. they are my first ones this year and they are one the 'sweet william' tomato plants. Do I sound excited?...You betcha lol.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
WOW! Chrissy what a nice job of your backyard. Everything looks so nice and healthy.

tkhooper... I'm doing my tomatoes and peppers in containers this year again in the greenhouse. My hubby just built a bunch of boxes for me from leftover scraps of pine lumber we had around here.

My tomatoes are blooming already, I'm quite excited to see what they will do this year. I only had cherry tomatoes last year, this year I'm doing the beefsteak ones. Hope they do well in the green house.

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My plants are bursting with buds and tiny tomatoes. I counted 14 the other day. I can't wait until they ripen.

The pepper is showing it's first bud which is also exciting.

I love having a garden.

[Linked Image]
Chrissy, your garden looks fantabulous! clap I was a little worried about my tomato plants, as they are starting to merge together, kinda like yours...but hey, yours looks good so I shall worry no more...

Here's a picture of my garden...I went small this year. Ate my first garden picked Mesclun salad last night. I've decided those wire cages take up a lot of room, so I am going to stake them with Cedar Stakes and string this weekend..

[Linked Image]

Look For the Good
Search For The Truth
Hope for The Best
Both my cherri, bigboy, and big beef have flowers (about 6 each!!!). Also my eggplant has a bud. the cilantro is bushy. the peppers are kind of slow, but this is my first veggie garden so i dont know what is the norm.

If you haven't got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Curious Nick have you heard about the Florida Weave for tomatoes. It looks like an interesting idea. Doesn't take up much room. Question are you snapping off the sappers and pruning the bottom branches so no leaves touch soil?

I have two little peppers on my bell peppers and my banana peppers still look like babies.

For me everything was slow getting started because of the late freezes we had. And the rains comming in torrents like they have hasn't helped either. And then there is the diseases I'm fighting. I think I should just till under my garden and plant a white flag of surrender.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well between the grubs eating my bean pod plants and the rain flooding my tomatoes and peppers, it's looking kind of pitiful.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
well I am going to make you all feel better-----my garden is growing like a weed--and that is just the problem: angel

I weeded & tied up as much as i could before the surgery---but now 3 weeks later, it has really grown & the weeds are having a hay day!!!

the good news is my tomatos & cukes are doing really well---but the weeds are so bad it didn't even notice the potatoes--although I did see the onions--(they ae doing nicely.)

and about the herb garden section---I weeded it--oops---don't tell my DH OK??? prayers but it had just rained last night so it was easy pulling--

they are doing real well

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Carol, leave the weeds be if you don't have any help. Don't go out there and hurt yourself. You need time to heal kissie

It rained last night and is still raining. Another 4 days of showers. I am thinking of tarping over the top of my garden.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My tomato plants have lost most of their leaves. They look awful. I doubt any of the tomatoes will ripen. Even if the Sweet Williams do manage to ripen I think I'll try for determinate disease resistant hybrids from now on. I need something easy care I think.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
Carol, leave the weeds be if you don't have any help. Don't go out there and hurt yourself. You need time to heal kissie

It rained last night and is still raining. Another 4 days of showers. I am thinking of tarping over the top of my garden.

yea, Tamara you are right--blush--but it is hard---I kept things so nice---and you should see what my DH refers to as the "patio" (the space out the back door.) it is like i am "raising" weeds, well mainly grass
But yes, you are right---perhpas when my daughter gets home from Nebraska
I can get her to help me.

Thanks for caring, though.

it thundered here yesterday, but only about 7 drops of rain showed up (ha)---perhps today or thursday rain will come they are saying--lets hope.

________

5k Posts
5k Posts
Some years are so hard on tomatoes, Tammy. Last year was a horrid year for my tomatoes but this year is, thankfully, looking much better!

My garden is doing very nicely and it is all thanks to you guys, and your assistance. Thanks so much.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm very glad to hear that yours are doing well.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It rains here everyday and I mean rain, full down pour. My garden has never been this cr@ppy. Nothing is growing.

here's what mine looked like late may. this is the first year for a vegie garden and I did'nt ammend the soil first, it looked ok but it doesn't have enough organic content....[Linked Image]

Last edited by dan@modernblacksmith; Jun 27th, 2007 at 07:53 AM.
#77383 Jun 27th, 2007 at 08:07 AM
maybe from a distance but that's only from adding fetilizer, it'll be more organic next year....

#77525 Jun 27th, 2007 at 11:10 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
tkhooper I'm sorry to hear about your tomatoes, I'd feel so bad.

Tamara send some rain our way and we'll all send you some of our sunshine. Just hang in there the sun will come out soon.

[Linked Image]

I put in some cuke starts and they all just up and died?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image