Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#57157 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 08:24 PM
Loveday Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone know how to effectively get RID of scale insects? My two spider plants (which are in two different rooms) and my purple passion plant have scale insects. I pick them off with my finger nails often, but it still seems to be a problem. Also, on a side note, does anyone know why only these plants are affected? My purple passion is close to about 4 other plants, a night blooming cereus, a draceana, and rope hoya, and a christmas cactus. These have all been friends now for about a year and a half and it's never been a problem for them thank goodness! Thanks guys!

Be HAPPY, be HEALTHY, and be FREE!
Loveday #57168 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 08:37 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i did a mix of alcohol, soap, and water, killed them, but didnt' get rid of them completely. i finally just threw out the plant that had them. it was only a particular rubber tree touched drove me nuts!

#57198 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 08:55 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
i would hazard a guess that your soil is harboring the eggs. and the best way to conquer the bugs is to take cleaned cuttings, discard the mother plants and start over. or drench your pots in malathion mix with water. directions on bottle.
i had bad mealy bugs once, couldn't get rid of them. and incidentally turned the table over that the plants were on, there were Hundreds on the underside of the table!!! ICK

patunia #57211 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 09:00 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ICK shock that would have freaked me out, big time!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image