Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
My hill was apparently used as a garbage spot in the past. When I dig a new spot to plant things I sometimes find odds and ends, bits of broken glass and pottery a couple of old bed or chair springs and these little treasures
[Linked Image]
I did add a garden this spring in a spot where I didnt dig, I kind of want to go up there, move everything I planted and get digging.... kind of.
So what oddities, odds and ends, curiosities, have you found??

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Cool finds Wrennie!! Is the big piece on the left a piece of pottery? The only thing I have found while digging is a sore back and a horseshoe. Lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Do you know what that big rusty piece is?
I would love to dig and find things! That would be cool!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
The big rusty thing is an axe head.
It does look flat in that shot doesnt it? Most of the pottery pieces {bits is more like it}are white or white with a touch of blue. Found a pyrex coffee(?) cup handle too.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohhh Okay I just asked the same question in your other thread,, sooo never mind!! HAHAHA.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Those glass pieces are nice. Are they going to EBay?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I wasn't planning on it. But if I look them up and people are getting mucho bucks for them... see ya'. I like their 'historical part of this piece of property' value.

5k Posts
5k Posts
wow wrennie thats cool! you can go treasure hunting in your own yard!

[Linked Image]
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Very cool Wrennie! Those bottles may be worth a lot!

Along the coast by the Outerbridge Crossing[a bridge lol ] there was an old encampment or bottle factory or something like that during the early 1800's... you used to be able to dig freely there to find old buttons, bottles, cans, and etc... now you can only go there if you wear a tactical body armour vest, if you catch my drift.. :Lol: lol :wink:

My grandmothers house[the one across the street from me] used to be an old farm... I find stuff all the time! Old pieces of metal, glass bottles, and coins... my oldest coin is an American "indian Head" penny from 1907.. thumbup

I have some good stories about that house...

This one is a must read:

The people who lived in the house before my grandmother[who has been living there 28 years] supposedly buried a grand piano somewhere in the yard...considering the size of the yard[if you have seen the virtual tour I did], there are quite a few places for it to be located... I'm not allowed to dig for it though lol I'd destroy all the property...

Another one:

THe people who built the building I'm living in now needed a place to move all the dug up dirt to. So they moved it to various places of my grandmothers yard, with her consent of course... Up by the fish pond area of the yard[where they didn't put anything] is so easy to dig, fertile, and rock-free... down where my veggies are it's terrible...rocks galore and very tough soil.. lol
I also have a LARGE section of SIDEWALK in with my veggies...it's standing vertically starting only about for inches down... going to God-only knows how deep lol boy is it hard to dig/plant around it... And it's too big to move.. :Lol:

Very interesting.. lol

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Someone I knew grew up somewhere in the mid-west> I forget exactly where now. On a big farm. Tornado country. any-hoo. She told a story of the house she grew up in got sold & the people didnt want the house just the farmland so they dug a big hole and pushed it in & buried it!!
Said they used to bury all sorts of stuff, furniture, cars, farm equipment....

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, along time ago they buried everything. When we started digging for our house here we found pottery pieces, a silver spoon, steel chain, broken bottles and an old tea pot.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I don't like digging...I always fear diggin up bones

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by kennyso
lol i can imagine that. it would freak me right out!

1k Posts
1k Posts
I have the same problem with my garden, LOTS of metal. One of the former owners must have collected metal, I have dug up at least two 5 gal buckets full of metal. There was a full set of steak knives, a main bearing cap from a Chevy V8, a wheel cover, a dog chain and the corkscrew to chain him to, a meat cleaver, bed springs, angle iron, etc. Plus a very good collection of glass and pottery and plastic.
Where the asparagus bed was, there used to be an old car, and I think they drained the radiator there because I found the hoses and clamps. I think that is why the plants died at one end.

The old house that was there was probably 100 years old. It still had the gas lines in the ceiling for the lights, (there was no original wiring, or plumbing) and ALL the wood was rough cut oak. When I tore it down, it was a awful hard on the chain saw.

There was a old cistern behind the house, I have since removed the last of the brick. I don't know where the old outhouse was, maybe I don't want to. LOL

You ever try to unwrap barbed wire from the tiller tines??!!! I was NOT a happy camper!!!!

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
interesting stories, and wrennie......way cool on the glass thingies.....reminds me of depression glass. is that what you call the pink and green stuff?

let's see, stuff i have dug up....flat coke and beer cans, tools, bottle caps, something that looks like it would go on a fireplace, cinder blocks, part of an old water line not in use, ditto on a dog chain, a mason jar, glass, and under the snowball bush that came with the house is a control panel to a washer that is still there! who knows, it may be the whole washer!

apparently, the people in this house just buried their stuff too! wonder what else i will find!

hubby found a OLD iron bed laying up from the house in the trees when we moved in.....side rails and all....but very rusted and one rail bent. someday i will have it sandblasted. for now it is laying under the back deck....wonder how old and who used it?!?

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso

A house in a county just south and east of me went to dig in their back yard, i think they were cleaning out their pond or making it bigger, and they dug up dinosaur bones. Mammoth I think.

When my cousins cat passed away her hubby made her a little kitty casket, brass hinges and all. He went to dig a hole near the garden under the edge of a bush and dug up cat bones! I guess the last owner thought it was a good place to bury kitty too.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
They still bury houses here in the midwest! Don't they do that anywhere else? If somebody builds a new house on a piece of property that has an older house on it they build there new one while living in the old one and once they are done they dig a hole and bury the old one!

Last edited by plantqueen; Jun 4th, 2007 at 09:47 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image