Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54830 May 30th, 2007 at 06:06 PM
OP Offline
Just when I got past the frost danger that I was so excited about I spotted a bunny in my garden this morning just starting to nibble on my green bean plants. I went out with one of my cats and it went into its home, which is my neighbor's shed (the one with the bad maple trees don't you know). So I set up the live trap. She was out again this afternoon but didn't come into the garden. Then it rained so I suppose I have to put out new bait. And if I catch her will another one move in? Also I suppose she has babies under the shed, but what can I do? why She had babies there 2 years ago but not last year or maybe this is one of the babies grown up. Whatever. I am not messing around this year and will get an electric wire if needed to keep rabbits out.
What is the best bait? I heard yogurt covered raisins/pretzels are their favorite. I have a yogurty luna bar, apple and piece of bun out there. Do they like grapes?

1k Posts
1k Posts
I vote for the electric fence.
I love wild rabbits and have cared for them for years.
They can die in the trap. Their hearts can stop from fear in moments.

DeborahL #56123 Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:10 PM
OP Offline
But the zap from an electric fence won't hurt them? touched

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Tamara from Minnesota
But the zap from an electric fence won't hurt them? touched

Depends on the voltage. Our cattle fence drops me to my knees when I touch it (by mistake) lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #56281 Jun 1st, 2007 at 06:40 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Did you mean the kind for dogs-the invisible fencing?
That's what I thought you meant. Not the cattle kind.

DeborahL #57091 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 07:09 PM
OP Offline
No not the dog kind. That needs a collar to work and if I catch the rabbit to put a collar on she might die. I mean a low voltage fence for a garden. Like the cattle kind but smaller. A friend used it who had deer, woodchucks, foxes, rabbits etc and it worked well and also stayed working after they shut it off. But I don't know the cost. The rabbit has not ventured into my garden since the other day.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i have that kind for my dogs... to keep them in. kits start at about $75... it depends on how large the area is that you need.

now, don't get mad at me about the dogs, they are all escape artists who i love very much, and don't want them to get smooshed on the highway... uhuhh

#57279 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 04:50 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My aunt and uncle have an underground system like that for their dog, I think it's a wonderful idea. Gives him full run of the acre they own. Glad you use it as well Jiffy.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #57534 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:40 PM
the little wire fence for them are just fine, my mother-in-law has one for her animals 'cause they kept trying to jump the fence to run into the next-door's yard. It doesnt hurt them, just'pricks' them abit to detore them somewhere else AWAY from your yard. no collar is needed and you can line them up along the bottom of your fenceline. But if they dig UNDER the wire, then it's a moot point. line your garden NOT your fence in this case, it 'should' help.

chrissy fair #62720 Jun 10th, 2007 at 06:41 PM
OP Offline
The rabbit still is not interested in my bait. I tried so many treats. So next week I am getting a motion detector sprinkler and will try that. The drawback is that I have to have a hose laid out to the garden at all times and hubby won't like that when mowing and it will harm the grass. Still I have to water so much back there that a hose is almost always there anyway. (the neighbor's trees are sucking up all my water- I have to pay for that water. I soak about every other night for 8-9 hours with soaker hoses and it is still dry almost immediately. urrrrr. :mad:)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image