Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53839 May 29th, 2007 at 08:38 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
At first it was bunnies, eating all the new leaves off my seedlings and now, now, something buggy has invaded. Whatever it is, likes to eat between the veins in the leaf. I am deeply annoyed! Any ideas or suggestions?

[Linked Image]
here is a bug I found when I went to take pictures, but I doubt that this little fella is the problem.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by LandOfOz; May 29th, 2007 at 08:38 AM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
#54346 May 29th, 2007 at 07:04 PM
The damage almost looks like slugs have eatin into it- if so get some slug pellets, and make a barrier around the plant. The bug that is in the picture is a green lacewing, and is a good insect to have around, as they eat aphids. Some people actually release those into the garden to help clean up pest bugs!

5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Well, slugs would explain why I can't find anything (other than an aphid here and there). I've never had slugs in my garden before. My ground has got 2 inches of alfalfa on it, acting as a mulch. So do I put the pellets on the mulch or pull it back and put it on the ground?

Penny, I've got radishes, I just can't find them. I bought them for exactly that purpose. I'd hate to put a pepper spray out there though. I released 1500 ladybugs in March for DD's bday party and they are still around and working in the garden. I'd hate to repel them.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
put it on top of the mulch. Form a barrier with the pellets around the plant. The pellets attracts them, then its curtains for them when they feed on them. Slugs usally come out in the dark, or during wet damp weather. They can do a number on your plants if you let them go.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image