Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52547 May 27th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
OP Offline
hi there!
i have a bamboo plant that is currently outdoors (it's in a pot) and it's just looking a little sad! i'm wondering if it needs a little something to help it grow taller and fuller; fertilizer, what have you. i just transplanted it to a larger pot too.
thanks for all your advice!

katienien #52559 May 27th, 2007 at 05:51 PM
Its probably suffering from transplant shock. Put it in partial shade, keep its regular watering schedule and don't feed till it perks up. Don't feed stressed plants, the roots can't take up food, they're to busy keeping the plant alive.

If the plant was inside and moved outside into bright sun in one trip with being hardened off it could be in shock from that and being transplanted. When transplanting a container plant its best to keep it in its new pot and the same location until it gets established. To move an indoor plant outside it needs to be acclimated over a week or two.

Reverse the procedure if moving the plant back indoors over the winter

herbalyn #52588 May 27th, 2007 at 07:00 PM
I grow mine in water for about a year or so then I plant it.By then the roots are massive.If you plant them the ground they should winter well.But they can take over your yard fast.If you keep them potted then they have to be moved indoors or the roots will freeze.

littlelizard #52605 May 27th, 2007 at 07:54 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the combo of putting it in a bigger pot and putting it outside without hardening it off is causing shock, as lynn said. water it well and take it inside again and put it back in its usual spot and watering schedule - let it get situated and then start hardening it off so you can leave it outside for the season.

if you're talking about 'lucky' bamboo - it's not bamboo at all. it's a dracaena. ;)

as for real bamboo - there are two types. clumping and spreading - only the spreading type becomes invasive, clumping types stay right where you put them.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image