Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52274 May 27th, 2007 at 05:16 AM
OP Offline
Well, I take it that aren't too many people with Swedish Ivy experience, so I will ask another question. I have had a spider plant for 2 years now. It is so large, full and beautiful. I felt like after 2 years I needed to repot it. I transfered it yesterday from a 10" pot to a 12" pot. Was this a mistake? It was horribly rootbound, but now I am hearing that it thrives on being "snug"...any feedback from anyone? Thank you!

Jeremiah 29:11
beginner_gardner_jmh2911 #52385 May 27th, 2007 at 12:12 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've transplanted one within that size range.Mine was very root bound.It had very little soil left within the pot.I loosened the roots and went up a size& was also deeper pot.It seems much happier,but still seems to take alot of water.

Um I grow a sweedish ivy.I love mine.Mine are whiteish blooms.Whats unhappy with yours?(It don't bloom pinkish does it??I'd like the pinkish too.)

If your leaves are yellow& falling...could be too wet.

Dropping and green may need fertilized.

Stringgy looking...re vamp her cut some longest cuttings off root in water.re pot and when rootings take set them in with rest of plant to fill in.They like a peat based soil.(mines half potting mix half peat)

leaves dry& crisp..not enough water or too much sun.

Limp foliage...too hot or rootball is dry (or my case...too hot)
Only pest I've ever seen is spider mites.I ran for the 3 way fungicide by gardens safer.I think was a GH incident.

I can't think of any problems.I went through all these plus didn't know what the plant was at the time.mines just been through a re vamping.The cat dumpded it.I cold GH mine& in the summer it now gets morning sun & it don't sit in birdbathe which is concrete.I love the flowers.It wasn't blooming in shade.I've burned it before too.Now I know to move it to my shade area when July hits.(I even gave it ice one day...it was 109)

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #52396 May 27th, 2007 at 12:50 PM
OP Offline
My sweedish ivy is a start I just received. I was looking for some advice, and you really gave me alot! Thank you!

beginner_gardner_jmh2911 #52500 May 27th, 2007 at 03:40 PM
OP Offline
And also, thank you for responding. I left this forum the first time b/c I felt invisible!

beginner_gardner_jmh2911 #52544 May 27th, 2007 at 05:24 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Your not invisible, sometimes we don't answer if we don't know what we're talking about. We wait awhile then bump your question up for someone else.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image