Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51763 May 25th, 2007 at 06:50 PM
OP Offline
has anyone had luck with sprouting BOP seeds? i have been at it for a few months. i have them in a greenhouse with water and it is usually hovering between 70+90 deg in there. i have chipped the seeds a bit and soaked them, but they are unresponsive. any help would be cool thanks!

Dionysus #51963 May 26th, 2007 at 09:47 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Info Propagating Bird of Paradise seeds.
http://www.hawaiitropicals.com/kipobiofpase.html

Propagating Bird of Paradise seeds:
1. Soak seeds in lukewarm water for several hours.
2. Scarify seeds by nicking the outside hard shell with a knife or small file to scratch though in order for the seed to imbibe water.
3.Place about 1 to 2 cups of vermiculite or a one-to-one volume of peat and perlite, or a ready-mix starter, into a re-closable plastic sandwich bag and thoroughly moisten mixture.
4. plant seed to a depth of one-half inch and seal the plastic baggy. This will help to keep the soil mixture moist during the germination process. Moisten again if necessary during the germination process.
5. seeds should germinate in 2 - 3 months. Transplant seedlings individually into 3" pots when they grow two leaves. You can feed with a diluted liquid fertilizer at this stage.
6. Transplant to a larger pot when the plant outgrows the 3” pot. This step helps to produce a healthier plant. If the plant is to be grown indoors, transplant into a very large pot as the Bird of Paradise can grow as high as 4 feet tall with leaf blades 6 inches wide and 18 inches long.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #52259 May 27th, 2007 at 04:04 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The seeds you are working with need to be fresh. 6 months or younger. Older seeds don't germinate.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #52387 May 27th, 2007 at 12:18 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
But yes,they do take a while to germinate.I've got 2 started from seed.One took 5 months the other took 9 months.No idea how fresh the seed was.I think the taller one is about 4 years old now.I'd love for it to bloom.I've moved it to a larger pot now with my red Ti Plant(now 1 pot to overwinter..plantpooling.Haha))

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image