Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52079 May 26th, 2007 at 03:28 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
The trumpet vine I bought from Wally World - weeks ago, it's still just a 'stick' with no growth. How long? I want to dig it up and peek at the roots to see if there's anything happening, or should I just be patient?

By the way - my hydrangea tree I planted a few weeks ago had green buds alllll over it! I'm so excited!

PattyM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm a scratch and peek girl. I scratch a small area of the stick or branch and look for green growth lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Don't disturb the roots of your plant. They need to be established before anything can happen above ground. The way to check if a woody perennial is alive above ground is to cut a tip of a back branch off. Living woody material has a bright green ring under the bark layer and is white looking ( picture the inside of an asparagus spear when it's snapped).

A woody perennial can take some years to become a fully established and flowering plant. Disturbing any part of the root system now will just set the plant back the same as if it was unearthed and replanted.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
okay - thanks!

PattyM
Originally Posted by tamara
I'm a scratch and peek girl. I scratch a small area of the stick or branch and look for green growth lol

That method is being discouraged as it weakens and leaves the plant open to attack from insects and disease. When the green protective barrier is scratched it gives off a chemical reaction that can be "read" by damaging insects and disease.

For some reason a plant can quickly seal off with a protective coating any clean cut.

Believe me the trumpet vine will take off. I have one along a side fence and it's very invasive. I can't get rid of it or kill it. It sends out runners, will grow anywhere. So becareful where you put it, it will expand and once planted into the ground, it's there forever!
joyce

Love what you do, do what you Love!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image